Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Weight limit

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Weight limit

ORIGINAL: stoneenforcer

read the faa regs issued this year. there is a weight limit, ceiling limit, ect for rc modeling set as national ''guidlines'' for us. however, i wouldnt put myself on radar if flying near particular airspaces. they just simply implimented common sense regulations. not sure how its enforced judicially.

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I am so sick of hearing this ''I don't belong to the AMA so I can do what I damn well please'' crap! [:@] Stop thinking about yourself and think about the eniter hobby in general. As stated in the US the FAA owns the airspace get over yourself!
OK, so give us a citation to a statute or regulation establishing a weight limit for models. Saying ''The FAA owns the airspace'' means nothing until the FAA makes a regulation, and they haven't done that yet. The OP asked for information, and I gave it. This has nothing to do with ''thinking about yourself'': I've never had a plane weighing more than 16 pounds and I don't expect that I ever will. Whether the absence of a weight limit is good or bad is not the issue here.
Please cite and quote a specific regulation, and tell us what this weight limit is. Or don't post at all. What earthly good is a post that says, in effect, "I know there's some rule somewhere, but I don't know what it says or where it is"? And please remember, a "guideline" is not a rule.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

So if I can fly anywhere I want, what do I need to do to be in compliance with AMA code?
Link to 2012 Safety Code
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Post deleted -
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I don't intend to defend myself over this AMA non mermership thing. As I stated earlier, we were AMA until one day when the self proclaimed AMA cop at our field threw the owner's brother off the field. He did not know it was Jim's brother, but I doubt that would have made any difference to him. This self important AMA member's name is Carl. None of us really liked Carl and his shennanigans was tearing the group apart. He really thought he was the boss even though he had no official status in the club. So when he really belligerently insisted Jim's brother leave the field, Jim's brother went directly to Jim whose business is also on the property. Jim came down and did everything but physically attack Carl. I wasn't aware that Jim even knew some of those words because I had never heard him use them and to this day have not heard him use them again. To make a long story short, Carl has never set foot on the property again and we became non AMA affiliated that day. I have also observed that since that day there has not been any kind of politics or dissension in the group. We are not now AMA and we will never be AMA again as long as we fly on Jim's private property.

I realize that having the AMA insurance backing us up would be a good thing, but it ain't gonna happen as long as we fly at Jim's field. So we have two choices. We can continue to fly at Jim's with everyone getting along very well or we can find another field, join the AMA, and hope nobody comes along who wants to assert himself and use AMA rules to back him up. The politics in that situation got really nasty.

We have all heard the horror stories of how difficult it is to find a decent place to fly.

I choose to stay at Jim's.
After reading this I retract my comments about your earlier post 5. I am sorry.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
JollyPopper

It seems there might be a third option after reading several posts here. From what I have read, if I were to rejoin AMA I would be covered even though Jim, as the owner of the property, would not be covered. I was not aware of that. As long as that does not offend Jim, I have no problem with it. And I suspect Jim was only upset because one of us assumed the authority to throw his brother off the field by using AMA rules to back him up, what happened that day is that Jim's brother approached a pilot who was flying at the time to ask him a personal question. They were good friends. Carl, who was sitting in the pits, proceeded to rant and rave about how nobody was to approach someone who was flying for any reason. He really got nasty about it. It probably is not a good idea to approach someone who is flying, but we do it all the time. Sometimes we go out and stand by the guy and talk, some times we just talk to him from the pits. It happens every day. Is that contrary to the AMA safety code?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

LOL if that were the case I would have been thrown out of the AMA a long time ago.

Maybe not a good idea depending on the person/situation but definately not against any safety code. When I'm covering an event if I'm out shooting photos with someone I dont know I always ask them beforehand if they mind talking while they are flying. Some can't, I can chatter away it doesn't bother me.

If I were doing a maiden on a big plane or heli, then I would probably prefer to concentrate but against the rules? Not even close.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Read carefully and understand what you are reading. Unmanned Aircraft Systems UAS refers to all unmanned aircraft even our models. http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgOrders.nsf/0/8616600949dcc4b78625742c004c52b0/$FILE/1110.150.pdf

Pay special attention to section 13. Background where the FAA refers directly to the AMA and its designation as to what constitutes a model. The AMA is the recognized governing body for modeling in the USA and as such it looks like the FAA accepts that definition as to what constitutes a model. I believe this has since been updated to 75lbs and the 100lb giant flying under special waiver. Also the term “Recreational Flyer” is used meaning you the pilot when flying models as per the AMA definition and not for profit.

If you fly overweight or as a commercial enterprise then it is no longer considered a model but a UAS and you must deal directly with the FAA for permission to fly.

I would bet dollars to donuts that if you pissed the FAA off they could come up with any number of charges warranted or not that would tie you up in the courts and kick the daylights out of your financial situation just to teach a lesson.

You tell me who is going to be the looser in this scenario. Charges have been laid or an incidence has occurred. Court day the lawyers are all standing around rubbing their hands with glee. First up the AMA representative called by the way by the prosecution to give a definition of what a model is. His authority, well after all they are the recognized governing body for Model Aviation in the US. The FAA recognizes them as such and so does the FAI which governs all air sports world wide. OOOOPPPSSSS so it not a model. The FAA agrees it’s not a model by the definition set out and you did not comply with their Unmanned Aircraft Systems. http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...dance08-01.pdf
OOOOOPPPPPSSS!!!!!! BAD BAD BAD go to jail do not pass go do not collect $100

It’s all there if you care to wade through it. Can you build and fly it and get away with it? Maybe. May you legally do so? I doubt very much other wise there would be a plethora of big stuff like you see in England and Europe.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Pw,
Please quit the scare tactics based on your guesswork. If someone were charged with anything by the Feds, there's a judicial process that takes place. I'm a corporate pilot and know a couple aviation attorneys (pals). There's a process like any other court case, nothing to get worked up about unless you do something reckless or flagrant. 

Enough with the 'sky is falling'.  
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read carefully and understand what you are reading. Unmanned Aircraft Systems UAS refers to all unmanned aircraft even our models. http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgOrders.nsf/0/8616600949dcc4b78625742c004c52b0/$FILE/1110.150.pdf

Pay special attention to section 13. Background where the FAA refers directly to the AMA and its designation as to what constitutes a model. The AMA is the recognized governing body for modeling in the USA and as such it looks like the FAA accepts that definition as to what constitutes a model. I believe this has since been updated to 75lbs and the 100lb giant flying under special waiver. Also the term “Recreational Flyer” is used meaning you the pilot when flying models as per the AMA definition and not for profit.
Read carefully and understand what you are reading. Your "Section 13" is "background," not a rule. It mentions the AMA and its then-current weight provision (which was in fact never an AMA "rule" either: as several of us have explained, it's what you needed to comply with for insurance protection). Mentioning an AMA weight limit for insurance as "background" to something else is a very long way from adopting that weight limit as a rule. If they'd wanted to do that they'd have said so. The Administrative Procedure Act, a Federal statute, prescribes the ways in which government agencies can make rules. Mentioning something as background in a document which does not itself even try to set forth rules is not one of those ways.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
JollyPopper

Well, I read it and what I understood is that some organizaions such as the AOPA urged them (FAA) to hand down rules governing UAS. Nowhere does it say that they did such.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:27 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have not yet. Another benefit of being an AMA member is that you would recieve the monthy AMA Magazine which has coverage of the process that the FAA is going through in formulating rules for UAVs, and the AMA's on-going efforts in trying to prevent hobby RC models from being included in those regulations. The AMA also has a blog following these issues at http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/