Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

transporting airplanes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

transporting airplanes

Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transporting airplanes

Hi all I have a problem that I think you all might be able to help with. I have several large airplanes 76 thur 80 inch airpalnes that I would like to transport to the airfeild. I have A open trailor thats 4x8 I want to transport the planes with the wings on. One airplane is a nitroplanes tiger moth 120 so here is the question how would transport it all together in an open trailor driving at 60 mph for approx 50 miles
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: transporting airplanes

Can your planes even fit in the trailer with the wings on? The only way I can imagine is to turn them sideways, which is going to be really tough to protect them from wind. Far more secure would be to build a PVC wing rack and a separate fuselage rack that you can secure with bungee cords.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I wouldn't do it. I'd build a box for the trailer to carry the planes. Here's why. dirt, rocks thrown by other cars.
Wings trying to fly and you do need to take a plane apart to check inside anyway. Dennis
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 AM
michael wood

I thought about building a box that way I can hang it and you are right to take it apart to check every thing insidemabey i can make a wing createl of some sort I saw that one tiger moth kit had one but canr rember witch one
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to haul my 66 inch Moth and my 68 inch Boeing Bipes assembled in my van. Nose down and planes at an angle. Pain in the butt but less work then taking them apart. In an open trailer?? I still set up the Boeing once in a while and take it to the field but after getting it in and out of the van a couple times it gets hung on the wall again. The Moth was much easier to get in and out.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also don't think you can fit a plane inside with the wings on so that it would make it to the field in one piece. Even if you could,unless you make a rack to support the wings that's a lot  of stress on the wings&airframe with the  bumping up&down in a trailer. Letting the wind whip over the plane with the wings on probably isn't a good idea either.
I know a tiger moth is a pain to put together but I don't know how well it would stand up to being transported assembled with out support under the wings and fuse.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been transporting fully assembled aircraft in the back of my pickup to and from the flying field for well overtwo years with no problems. I never exceed 105kph (65mph), and the distance I travel each way to and from the flying field is 48km or 28 miles.

Just about any cargo can be safely transported; if you do your homework first, understand the do and don’ts, and of course mitigate and accept the risks involved.

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61465.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1818307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21824.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1818308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65501.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1818309  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Gray Beard

I have hauled planes in the bed of a truck like Roger is showing from one end of Calif. to the other. The only thing I did was make wood straps that went over the control surfaces to keep them from flapping back and forth so they didn't strip the servo gears. Sometimes three of us would use a friends truck to get to IMAA events so we did a set up like that to hold the planes. I have even seen planes on roof racks out in the open. A lot of forethought went into how it was done.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have had enough crap smack my windshield to not want to risk it, but I mostly fly the two planes I have grown fond of.

My newest plane is a tad longer than the bed of my truck. I have been contemplating building a waterproof wooden box for it and strapping it in. I am nervous about the bouncing of a small trailer. Lots of guys at my new club haul large trailers with several giant scale planes and don't have any problem, but a trailer that big doesn't make sense for me, yet.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM
michael wood

hauling planes in the back of a pick up like that is fine if you all think of it less wind resistance due to the back of the cab of the pick up and as far as using something to block the control surfaces from moving I do the same thing when I use my trailor 2 pieces of flat bass wood and 2 rubber bands for each control surfaces but I dont have the wings on I thought about making a wing cradle like the hanger 9 tiger moth uses but made out of pvc pipe I have also see a large pits airplane attached to a bumper hitch type cradle but that was years ago looks like I will be taking the wings off to transport
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Gray Beard

Even with my van, hauling the Bipes to events was a pain in the hinderpoo. I no longer have my Moth {dumbass married to my wife sold it!} but I still have my Boeing hanging on the wall just in case there is an IMAA event ever again in the Vegas area. Other then that it no longer gets flown much. Transporting them is one of the big reasons I no longer build Bipes, love them but they have that draw back. Most my friends from my IMAA days have enclosed trailers and they have had more aircraft damage from hauling in the trailer then from flying. Before I made my move here I was going to buy an enclosed trailer but in my area there is no place you can store one. I have friends with them set up as not only haulers but live in campers too. They can be very nice. Ever think of enclosing yours? Converted trailers can be very nice.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM
michael wood

thought about it