Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to balance wood prop?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to balance wood prop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to balance wood prop?

What is the proper way to balance a wood prop?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How to balance wood prop?

Proper is a loose term, some people sand them, others will use a weight. I have a can of clear lacquer paint and just put the props on the balancer and spray the light side until it just turns into a tad heavy, the paint gasses off a little and lightens up. If I spray a bit too much I just wipe it off with a finger until I get the prop in balance. I do this for all props, not just wood.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I hub balance all mine, I never add anything too or take anything off the blades themselves.

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I should better explain myself, I use the Dubro prop balancer on all the props I balance for myself and others. I am generally working the larger stuff but it is just as important on the smaller stuff. I first scuff the hub area both sides and I don't mean the drive and thrust washer areas with 320 grit sand paper, next I place the prop on the balancer and allow the prop to drop as it will, then I hold the prop level and favor one side low and then the other and allow it to drop again and again. The reason I do this is because most the time the prop will drop on the same side, however every now and then it will go the other way if just favored a little, what that tells me is sometimes I get a prop that the center hole is off just a tad and that takes a little different hub balancing. anyway if the prop drops the same blade when flipped then I begin to add a couple of drops of thick CA to the light side hub area, hit with kicker and re-balance I repeat this step flipping the prop over and adding drops to the light side of the hub until I achieve a level prop. Now as I stated; if the prop drops a blade when favored down either blade but will drop the same blade when turned over I must add CA drop to the light side of the hub first and get that heavy blade a little lighter, i also add a couple of drops to the center area of the hub on that side to counter the slight offset of the center hole, now I continue this until the prop is balanced. Thats it...

Bob
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Your way sounds good. I use a little spray on lacquer myself unless it's way off. I had a 18" that was way off last year. Ended up drilling a hole in the back of the hub/thrust washer area and adding a little lead.

David
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that does sound like a good method. It's better to add clear to the light side than remove the factory clear from the heavy side as then moisture, fuel, etc..can wick into the bare wood.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow David, that sounds serious off!! What brand was it?? I started using Xoar wood props, haven't tried any of the smaller props but so far the ones I have used were all very close to dead on balance.