Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba radio and RealFlight

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba radio and RealFlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba radio and RealFlight

Is it possible to use my Futaba 7C to operate my RealFlight 4.5? If so, how involved does it get?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba radio and RealFlight

Have you checked with Realflight?  I'd like to know how to use my futaba as well.  It seems as if I read in the realflight literature whe I first bought it back in version 4.0 that you could use your own radio.  I may just be trippin tho. 
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Steven said, check with Realflight ( Tower ). I had one of the old systems and used my Futaba 6 channel as a trans.. I think all you need is the proper cable hook up. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

OK, well, I looked into that possibility and I found several things real quickly. Since my original box with instruction book is stored and I did not want to dig it out, I pulled up the manual on Google. On page 15 of the manual, it tells exactly how to hook up your everyday transmitter to work on RealFlight. Basically, all it involves is using the buddy box cord between your Futaba transmitter and the RealFlight Interlink box. Go to controller option in the tool bar at the top of the first screen in RealFlight and select the Futaba radio. You will have to power up your Futaba transmitter and it will work. However, it doesn't provide nearly as much control as the Interlink controller does. The controls are very soft, kind of like you don't have much throw on the control surfaces of a real model. Also, the idle was high enough that the planes cannot be stopped fully while on the ground. And the worst thing is that if you need to use the reset button, well, there just ain't none. And since you deselected the Interlink controller and enabled your Futaba transmitter, the reset button on the Interlink, which is still plugged in between your Futaba and your PC, doesn't work either. So as far as I know, there is no way to restart or reset a model if you have crashed.

All of these problems became apparent in just a few minutes, and while all of them may possibly be overcome, I just don't believe it would be worth the effort. I just assumed that everything would be the same except you would have your Futaba transmitter in your hands instead of the Interlink controller. That just isn't the case. I will continue to use the Interlink controller to fly on RealFlight.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:55 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Hit the space bar, will reset