Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what is a oldtimer plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what is a oldtimer plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:19 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is a oldtimer plane

can some one tell me what a oldtimer is ,or it just a glider with power
Old 09-11-2003, 07:34 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what is a oldtimer plane

An oldtimer is a model aircraft designed & flown before December 7 1942. MAX H.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Dsegal

Keep in mind that virtually all models before WW2 were being flown as free flight models so that is what the term Old Timer usually implies. Today, such old designs are revised to allow for moveable control surfaces for radio control. With the lack of wide open spaces it means that models can be flown in an RC-assist mode and can be safely returned to the field without risking losing the plane if it goes out of sight as the originals may have done. Many of these designs are lovely flyers and provide a more relaxed style of flying than the over-powered screamers seen at many fields.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:44 AM
linclogs

I didn't know there was an "official" description of what an "old timer" model is (and don't know who came up with a particular date) but IMHO an oldtimer is anything that was designed to use, say, escapements or when reeds were in fashion. In other words, before modern proportional equipment. That's how I think of it but I'm sure you'll get other opinions. It may have to do with some particular organization (some "old timer's society"?). Of course, I'm speaking only of R/C models.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:35 AM
RobStagis

The 'official' designation comes from, I think, SAM (Society of Antique Modelers) - look at this:

S.A.M is the Society of Antique Modelers (the Modelers aren't really antiques, but their aircraft are). S.A.M. is a collection of people from varied backgrounds who are dedicated to preserving vintage free flight models (plans and kits published prior to December 31, 1938 ["antique"], prior to December 31, 1942 ["old timer"], and prior to December 31, 1956 ["nostalgia"]) and to fostering good natured competition among them.

Be that as it may: old-timers are planes that, in general, were designed as free-flight planes. They're either still built that way or converted to R/C. LOTS of people like flying them. Since they were originally designed as free-flight planes, they're immensely stable in the air and easy to fly. My Bowers Fly Baby (not the low wing single-seater - this is the one that Mr. Bowers won the late 30's Rise-Off-Water championship with, his own design) was updated and printed in Model Aviation as a 72" R/C plane. Once trimmed, you could set the radio on the ground, sit down and admire its slow, easy progression through the air.

Some of the old-timers being flown were designed after the inception of radio control and are being built today and flown, usually with more channels - the originals had single-channel radios, then progressed through more and more complicated thingies - witness Walt Good flying one with a car-trunk mounted single-channel radio......

There were ugly ones and graceful ones, but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I love the old Carl Goldberg Sailplane and I'll always have a wamr place in my heart for my Fly Baby - but they were radically different designs.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: handyman

What is a oldtimer plane?

Anything owned by Art.