Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

GLOW FUEL PRICES???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GLOW FUEL PRICES???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GLOW FUEL PRICES???

0% glow fuel will cost less than 6 bucks for 10% oil with $22 per gallon oil, and $3 gallon methanol. Yes that is a low oil content for most glow engines, but not for the large glow engines.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:08 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: p-80

electrics will not replace glow for a while, i think glow still has its place . still heavier than comparable glow settups. flight times are short ,but you can buy a ton of batteries if you have the cash i suppose. It just doesnt do it for me no sound , I cant fly around at full throttle unless i want like 3or 4 min flight times then i may or may not overheat and burn something out , My flying style just doesnt include putting around much , for me glow is here to stay. The problem with the small gass motor again they lack the same power and they are heavier and larger then a comparable glow engine which for me is a big drawback having to gash up that brand new cowl for less performance,I will admit lately gass is getting much more appealing in these sizes especially with the inroduction of the mintor 22 and 33 .we will see, but for now glow is still attractive for alot of modellers.I think the rise in electrics has resulted from those that recently got into the hobby and are afraid to go glow and or have crazy noise restrictions were they fly . everything has its place at the end of the day

well said... I wanted to say that, but I rambled on alread.
I think the other note to mention is that you need to relearn all those Numbers on the Motors, batteries ect ect...
One area that I could see a change due to glow fuel prices is RC BOATS....
50% nitro isn't cheap... and when you boat quits right after you place it in the water...it is a Btch to say the least....
Old 11-22-2012, 04:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kochj

One area that I could see a change due to glow fuel prices is RC BOATS....
50% nitro isn't cheap... and when you boat quits right after you place it in the water...it is a Btch to say the least....

So you take an electric boat with you on your outings. A tug boat with a bow-bumper works well.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scaleman57 have you considered the rear carb/rear exhaust like the DLE's for that Cessna?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

I think that there is another option that has not been considered in this discussion; dropping the % of nitro in your fuel. It is achievable, I have migrated from %15 down to %5 nitro. You have to retune your engines, maybe use hotter plugs or increase compression. I even ran one of my engines on 0% without ill effects. That would cut down your glow fuel expense considerably. Plus, it is a lot less work and money than converting your existing fleet to gas.
What engines did you do this on and what changes/adjustments did you do? I do have one larger glow I would like to keep if I could get the performance out of it on 5% that could be a consideration.
The engines I did so far are the easy ones: Fox 74 and SuperTigre G51 and GS40, Irivne 40, ASP 91. I will re-tune the Norvel AX-40 next. I don't know about the OS 55AX, I might try it, but it is a higher nitro engine. The Fox 74 has actually been running on 0%, so I will have to tune it for higher nitro. For the SuperTigres, it ran better with 5% without any changes. I tried 5% on my Saito 1.80 and it ran fine, but I didn't tach relative to 15%, but wasn't noticeable from the performance on the plane I was using. My other 4-strokes, I still run higher nitro, but consumption is low. I use the Fox Miracle glowplug when I need a hotter plug. So far, I have not had to mess with head shims. I might need to when re-tuning the OS 55AX.

I plan on experimenting with Ester oils and methanol (0 nitro) next year. The Ester oils sell in automotive parts stores as A/C refrigerant lubrication. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of Ester oil use on model engines?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM
logair

I refuse to pay a hazmat fee ,so I dont order fuel! Logair
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: logair

I refuse to pay a hazmat fee ,so I dont order fuel! Logair
That's a huge waste of money. Either buy it through the club with a big group together, or at the LHS if they don't price too high, or go to any of the big exhibits like Toledo show and buy direct from the manufacturer. If all fails, mix your own. If you can't/won't mix your own, then get out of glow and go to gas.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
opjose

Every year I travel to the Toledo show where most of the fuel vendors are there selling their Semi's full of fuel.

Last year I purchased 16 gallons for 14.00/ea for 15% Wildcat fuel. I still haven't used it up. This year I'll half my purchase.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: opjose

Every year I travel to the Toledo show where most of the fuel vendors are there selling their Semi's full of fuel.

Last year I purchased 16 gallons for 14.00/ea for 15% Wildcat fuel. I still haven't used it up. This year I'll half my purchase.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! You travel from Maryland to Toledo? You are really dedicated. I just have to drive for an hour.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
opjose

Heh... well there's "The Show" too...

It's become my yearly "get away from it all" trip...

Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
ckreef

In Andersonville GA you can pick either Omega Pink (syn/castor), Cool Power Green (all syn) or the Heli mix. All were priced the same by the Nitro content:

1 gallon of 10% = $15
1 gallon of 15% = $17
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the middle of nowhere, and don't want to pay Hazmat charges. So I mix my own fuel. I bought a case (4 gallons) of Klotz oil which is 80% synthetic and 20% caster. For most glow engines you want 18% oil, though you should research you particular engines. I buy the methanol from local dirt track car racers with a 5 gallon jug that you can buy from VP racing fuels. Nitro come from multiple sources, a gallon or two will mix a lot of fuel. I've even mixed down some old left-over pylon racing 65% nitro fuel for some mixes. Generally 5-7% nitro fuel is plenty for sport.

Anyway, the oil is the greatest expense, which is why some fuel manufacturers are a bit shy on what they put it fuel. I like knowing exactly what I am running. Where I bought the last 4 gallons for about $140, I see now that it would cost about $220. Isn't QE wonderful? Anyway that would raise my cost for oil from $6.30 to $9.90 a gallon for just the oil.

I have read somewhere that certain used jet turbine oils can be used to mix fuel. I never tried this, because the local spray pilot used the wrong type in his gas turbine powered spray plane.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

try this place cheapest i have found so far..lots of good feedback from r/c guys mixing fuel http://www.tommyskarts.com/Cat.Oils.htm#COOL%20POWER best prices..