Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How Did You Learn To Fly R/C

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How Did You Learn To Fly R/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How Did You Learn To Fly R/C

"Those were the days!"

And aren't we glad they are long gone:-)))))))))))))))

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45453.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1825477  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51 AM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom got me a Cox PT-19 control line and I flew the wings off of it with my cousins one summer. My cousin built some other control line planes and we flew those, too. His dad, my uncle, then built me a flight streak. After I had mastered that he asked if I wanted to learn to fly R/C. He taught me on a 1/2A homebuilt that looked a lot like a Cessna Bird Dog and a .15 size Curtiss Robin. He would hand launch it, hand the transmitter to me and let me fly it. Then I would give it to him when the fuel ran out and he would land it. One day, when I was flying it, he just walked back to the shade of the pits. When it was time to land, he said, "You know what to do." And I did, though I didn't know it. I had watched him so many times that I had instinctively learned how to land. That was 30 years ago and I've been flying ever since. I'm teaching my nephew now.

Tim
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
ArtW

I was fascinated by planes in the late 1960s during the Apollo program. I read everything I could on radio and planes. An older gentleman gave my friend a reed RC radio which we tried to make work. I wanted a plane but my dad though I would crash it so we build cars and a sail boat. After many control line planes, and the sail boat, I decided I needed a plane that could survive crashes. My friend and I started building cardboard planes, round planes, etc. the round control line plane lasted for hundreds of flights. We finally got an RC sea plane that lasted a very long time because the engine was on a pod and wouldn't catch on a grass landing. I built an RC trainer and then got more instruction from East Bay RC. Finally my dad and I build a computer in 1977, it was a solder together kit, a Northstar 8080 machine. We build 2 Northstars and two Sols. I then wrote a flight simulator in basic. All the effort was toward learning to fly without too many crashes. After college I didn't have time to fly. I finally saw a Zagi foam glider in 2000 and knew I had found a way to fly without damage on crashing. I flew the Zagi behind my house. Then My brother gave me a RealFlight Simulator and the rest is history. With the simulator I have vastly improved my RC flying. I now fly helis, jets, 3D, pattern. It was a very long process but crash tolerant planes combined with simulators were fundamental to the process.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
hairy46

When I was about ten we went back east to visit my brother in the service. I went into my first hobby shop and saw planes hanging from the ceiling. I was in awe of them. I bought a mag and looked at it for a couple years. Built a control line pla.e do not think it made a full circle. Then first wife bought me a kit and then gave me nothing but hell about it. After we was done tried again to learn and found Eddy Gilmer fromRocksprings Wyoming taught me to fly. Eddy pasted a couple years ago but never forgotten. Thanks again Eddy. Love this hobby!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
landeck

I built my first model plane in 1948 as a cub scout. It was a solid wood Cub. Continued building solid models for the next four years, all hung from the ceiling of my bedroom. Then in 1953 I bought a OK Cub .049 and built a control line plane from plans in AAM. I learned to fly with that plane on my own and continued building and flying control line up to 1973. At that point I decided to get into RC. Built a Bridi Trainer 60 with a Fox Eagle I .60 engine and a Kraft 7C single stick radio. I joinded the Mid Hudson RC Club and was taught to basicly fly by an instructor over two fall afternoons. Crashed that plane and before I could build another we moved to Roswell, GA. At the time there was no club in the area but I found a group that flew off a back country road. I was still a beginner but so were all of them. There was a lot of crashing while flying by all of us but with time the flying got better. We went on the form the Roswell Air Force (RAF). The next year we got a true field and the club grew. I have been flying RC and some control line ever since. I am retired now but still build and fly every day the weather is nice out at the GMA field. That is 60 years of building and flying models. Because of model planes, I earned BS and MS degrees in Aerospace Engineering and had a life long career with IBM.

Bruce

Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM
SAMCPAKISTAN

Hi Dear, we appreciate that you are also crazy about rc flying. as far as your issue concerns,
1st option is that you buy 3ch or 4ch glider & start flying on that one, it's ideal for you in starting.
2nd option is to but electric high wing trainer having dihadral main wing, which provides you great gliding & stability.
3rd option is, if you want to start with glow engine ? buy any high winger trainer, but having dihadral wing shape. it's good but also mentally prepare to face some difficulties ( to start it ) you need Glow igniting & starter also & have a companion for your assistance. we will prefer if you spend many hours on RCflight simulator, it will be make yourself familiar to controls, throws & in air behavior of model & you will feel more comfortable when you practically start flying on any model (trainer).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
toolmaker7341

I self learned.Started with a JR Falcon/escapment (1963) a Wild Fire Bipe with Royal rudder/motor servos,(1965)Falcon 56/6ch reed(1965)a Royal Coachman/Hobby Lobby 2 ch (almost indestructable) 1973).Next was a Sr Falcon/Hobby Lobby 5 ch.(1974) The rest is history. All the early plane were glide tested and trimed before they were flown. I never crashed any of my planes (except scraps & covering punctures,they were all silk & dope) because all you did was let the plane fly it self and steer to keep it near.The only plane I had someone trim for me was the Sr Falcon.I Think flying C/L helped(I did crash alot of those). I didn't start using Monocote till much later. If you need to learn by yourself get a set of RCM Royal Coachman plans.No covering required but recommended,makes it almost indestructable. I used silk and dope but you could use 5 oz glass cloth & Urethane. Not to much,1 coat to stick the cloth down & 1 more to seal. Color with your favorite spray Rustolum.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story is much more recent than most of these. My wife gave me a Super Cub LP for Christmas in 2010. I flew that a little but not well, and I started to look for some instruction. Found a nearby club and joined, and in the spring of 2011 I had a 60-size glow trainer and spent my Wednesday afternoon and evenings at flight school. Got my wings that summer and had a lot of fun. In the fall of 2011 I bought a low-winged sport plane and put a 20cc gas engine in it. I enjoyed flying it this summer and got into aerobatics, competing in an IMAC competition. This fall I picked up a second hand 50cc aerobatic plane and I plan to focus on aerobatics in 2013.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Bought 2 control line planes and all the spare parts from a classmate in 1956 6built a 6th grade. Summer of 58 built a CL PT-19 listening to the Milwaukee Braves Loose because they won the World Series the year before. Never Flew it Gave Every thing to a younger cousin when I went in the service in sept of 64. I built CLStuka and Got an Artical 15 in Tech School for having Flamables (airplanne dope) in the barricks. Flew it ounce and gave it away because it wouldn't fir in Norm Roushes 60 Ford with us 6 guys and our duffle bags. Built a sterling CL P-51 Profile sime time forget when. Well My son was about 8 or 9 when he found it hanging up in Granpas Basement witch I now own from 1984. Wellafter my son had about a dozen crashes with the p-51 and killing 2 of Art's prize CL Scale planes trying to learn to loop a CL plane, we bought our first R/C Plane a trainer 60 K$B 61 and a Futaba 6 CH FG GOLD Radio on CH52. Joines the Millwaukee Flying Eletrons in 88. Jim Waigner after 19 Dead Sticks of 19 take offs said get another engine. did ASP 61. I and my son learne to fly ... I crashed meor than him. Well he turned 17 found Girls and Cars. Well since then I've had many many planes. He's had and has many many cars ... But he got smart and gave up women ... Asked him ounce how much he had in his 69 Chevelle ... his answer was and I quote. "Don't know, Don't Care ... I can fix it and it doesn't whine". He's never flowen since.Me been retired since Nov 1 2000 and I fly pretty much if the day ends in "Y".
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

25 years ago I did it the way we tell newbies how to do it today. Find the local club, ask questions about what equipment to buy, join the club, and get proper instruction. Took me about 20 flights to get my wings with no carnage involved!!! My instructor said I was a natural, but it did help that I had my lefts and rights and nose in already figured out because of rc cars. As an instructor today, I find that is the biggest problem with most students. I sometimes tell them to buy a cheap toy grade rc car and work on the lefts and rights as the car is coming towards themselves.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It sure is fun going down memory lane isn't it.

Bob
Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been an excelent thread sensei, I'm glad you started it. I've really enjoyed reading everyones story.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

A few hours on the sim, then on a used midwest aerostar 40 nitro trainer I bought. Took 2 flights with club instructor and the rest is history!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Taught on the buddy box standing beside whoever was the p.f.i.( professional flight instructor) for the day at the local club, now its my turn when ever someone comes that is interested.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great question. Well for me I was/am a pilot of real small craft and I figured it would be a piece of cake,"right", wrong. I had one hell of a time getting out of the plane and flying with my thumbs, sure looked easy enough. To top it off I got a buddy box guy to help train me but I don't think he knew what he was doing because he said " don't touch that one it's for throttle only, we don't use the rudder. Well how do you fly without the rudder ? Don't worry it will fly fine without it. Me, fat chance and away we went. anyway I did manage to keep it in the air but I was in for a whole new meaning of hand eye coordination. I did learn to fly and I gave my instructor the fits in the process but he stuck with me. When I fly I use the rudder and if he is around I holler out " I used the rudder Jim, works great", I still think he flies 3 channel.

This is such a fun hobby, it would be nice to see more young people in it, they don't know what they are missing.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 PM
spd101

Great topic, helps remind us of why we started doing this hobby. Tried it by myself with a Global Right Flyer 40t in 1995, crashed and gave it up till 2000. Got a Sig Kadet Lt40 with the help of some experienced club members I was successful. I always try to help any newer people out at the field to help keep the love alive. It always brings a smile everytime I land.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM
psb667

Super cub
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM
RVator

I always loved aviation. Working with an rc and full scale RV6 builder John White got me into Rc. He won the Joe Nall cup the second year of the now famous flyin! I built a Balsa USA stick 40 with ailerons. John put the first flight on it an we did the old pass the radio trick,no buddy box yet. That was 2003. We were flying at an outlaw field that I still mow and maintain. My mom was going to church with a guy that flew RC also. He turned out to be the late Dave Robelen that use to write in the AMA and Model Aircraft mags. He got me to a club and flew me on a buddy box that summer until I was own my own. The neatest thing about flying with Dave was his test pilot skills. He could fly your model and help you with setup issues you didn't know you had.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Sawtooth

There was a bunch of us kids in the late 50s that flew u control which consisted of flying wings and profile planes. They were easy to build and then fly and crash. Then I got into contest free flight. I built a model called the Starduster from a kit and started out with a old Cox .049. It flew OK but nothing that would win. Then the Cox Tee Dee engine came out and boy was it a screamer. I took the plane to a contest and got three Max flights. That was the end of models then. High school sports and farm work and then marriage, daughter work, and more work. Then about eleven years ago I got the bug again. I started with a NextStar. I practiced with the simulator and then tried my hand at flying. Lots of bumps and bruises but I still have that plane. I found a club to join that year and many planes later, I'm still at it. I don't know if I will ever move beyond a intermediate skills level but it doesn't bother me. Being around good club members and flying for my own pleasure is fulfilling for me.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the early and mid 50's I was flying control line and free flight. In about 1957 I got my mitts on a tone pulse radio system and installed it in an old Veco free flight model. It was already a good flying model, and all I did was add some weight to it, and removed the Tatone Tick Off timer, and eliminated the dethermalizer hinge on the horizontal stab, installed the receiver/battery and actuator (servo) and modified the rudder to be active using sewn hinges. This one was rudder only, and after a few flights, I was able to do a roll (kinda-sorta) and even a loop (again kinda-sorta). All this was accomplished with the engine screaming wide open. Getting it trimmed out was kind of a bear since it was designed to climb aggressively under power and then level out and descend in a wide circle once the engine shut off. Anyway, after that I got a Kraft 10 channel reed system and learned to fly with the toggle switches, and the rest is history. In the late 60's I got my first proportional system, and so to summarize, I suppose that I'm self-taught. I keep learning though and it seems that every flying session, I learn something new about this hobby.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"I keep learning though and it seems that every flying session, I learn something new about this hobby. "

Yep, every aeroplane you fly is a trainer.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

I started flying UC Cox PT 19 when I was 5 back in 1960. (my father taught me) I built most of the Goldberg u-control and free flight models and grew tired of watching my free flight models fly away or get stuck in trees too tall to recover them. Then discovered radio control at age 15. I bought out a guy down the street that had a new Debolt Jenny with an EK Logictrol 5 channel radio. I had always hung out a the local flying field and knew most of the guys and got one of them to teach me to fly. They did not have simulators back in 1970 and budy coards didnt work so well so it was get real high and pass the tx back and forth. Took about 6-8 weeks before I soloed.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Self taught in 1973 after a bad experience with the local guru's. Built a free flight R/C assist plane called "King Burd" that a local SAM member was kitting. Used a Cox TEE DEE .09, two channel rudder, elevator and in one day was flying by myself. Five years later joined the not so local club and have been a member since.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
hairy46

Wow I have enjoyed reading this thread. Like some of you the learning never stops and would also like to see youngsters enjoy this hobby more. Most the kids around here just distroy are field and we have to spend the money and time fixing it. Our building will cost us about 7 to 8 hundred to fix. Its just a shame to because anyone that wants to learn we will see that they do. But the lo e for this hobby and great freinds I have made in it, well its well worth it!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM
benbishop98

I just got into flying rc planes about one year ago.  I got RealFlight 6 and then about a month later I got a Nexstar.  After playing with the simulator for a few months I got the plane up and landed it safely.  I was so nervous it wasn't even fun.  I've gotten better with every flight.  IMO the simulator is the best investment I ever made. 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.