Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Mustang combination

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Top Flite Mustang combination

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Mustang combination

I am planning my christmas gift to me, myself, and I.
I have my eyes on a Top Flite Mustang 60. I was wondering if the OS110 4-stroke will fit without any modification.
And of course, will that engine make a good combination to have a good fast warbird.
This would be my first 4-stroke.

Thanks,

Harry

Old 12-08-2012, 07:46 AM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Mustang combination

That should be a good combination, unless the P51 is overly heavy due to retracts, operating tail wheel, paint job, etc.

Where you might have some concerns, especially if this is your first 4S, is that you'll probably want to mount it inverted to preserve the looks of the nose and cowling. Inverted engines run fine, but they typically have to be tuned a bit leaner, and if there's a big difference between the height of the tank and the carb inlet, you could get some fuel siphoning.

On my inverted engines, I typically run a glow driver for two reasons: (1) I don't have to mess around under the bottom of the cowl trying to connect in a glow ignitor, which keeps my fingers away from the prop trying to disconnect the ignitor after the engine starts, and (2) I get some peace-of-mind when I reduce throttle to land, knowing my glow plug shouldn't flame out. You'll get lots of opinions on this; I do what works for me, but there are lot's of folks running inverted 4Strokes without any special electronics.

Sounds like a good Christmas present
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

I am running a YS-120 inverted in my Top Flite P-51. It is fast. Be sure to use flaps on landing, as it is heavy and glides like a brick. Mac
Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I have one that I fly with a Saito 125 and it really floats on landing without using the flaps. Plenty of speed and the verticle is out of sight. The OS110 should be a real good combo.
You will want a remote glow hook up but not necessarily an on board glow. Really no need for the extra weight of another battery. I'm using mechanical retracts but plan on going electric or pneumatic.
Fred
Old 12-08-2012, 07:10 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

I am planning my christmas gift to me, myself, and I.
I have my eyes on a Top Flite Mustang 60. I was wondering if the OS110 4-stroke will fit without any modification.
And of course, will that engine make a good combination to have a good fast warbird.
This would be my first 4-stroke.

Thanks,

Harry

The 1.10 is a direct replacement pattern wise to the .91 surpass's. As to the question of a good fast warbird.. my experience with my 1.10 is one of excellence... those things are jewels. I put it in a BigStik60 just for kicks and to give the engine a test drive... I couldn't believe the shear power of the thing. The Stik is totally unchallenged vertically.. matter of fact, one of my favorite moves is just watching it climb out a hover.. alot of brute power.. such a step up from a .91.

I have the non-pumper that I'm very pleased with.. the pumper is about $30 more I think.. you might go with that.. as that I think could be a real work horse. Just so simple to operate.. I just touch it with the E-starter and she purrs.. I don't know how it would hand start, as I don't even try to it with larger 4-strokes..its too easy and safe to bump with the starter.

They aren't cheap compared to some lower end engines.. but they seem to have the most bang for the buck from what I can see... and thier prices aren't up in the stratosphere either with the elitest YS engines... which are severely overpriced in my opinion.. might be good engines.. but I won't go there.. the OS 1.10 is a winner.

My biggest prob is what am I going to put on my BigStik when I take the 1.10 off for my GP SuperSkybolt. I've got the .95V I'm actually going to swap out though.. as it will be a good indicator of the difference in performance between the 2.

Go with the 1.10.. you won't regret it.