Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Measuring transmitter battery voltage

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Measuring transmitter battery voltage

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
jeeper80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measuring transmitter battery voltage

Iwas given a Tower 40trainer withan old Tower 3000 series 72 Mhz FMradio system that I just replaced the batteries on. Thinking that I could measure the transmitter battery pack voltage through the charge jack, I bought a Hobbico Expanded Scale Voltmeter with a set of leads that hasa Futabacharge plug on one end. When I stick the charge plug in the transmitter's charge jack, I get nothing. The battery has a full charge on it and the transmitter's meter indicates a full charge. Is there a diode in the charge circuit that is preventing me from see voltage on the ESV?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Measuring transmitter battery voltage

Yes there is. Doesn't your radio have a battery meter on it? That's all you need to make sure you have enough charge to fly.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM
jeeper80

Thanks Jester, that's what I figured. I thought it would be good to check the battery under load but it's new and probably not necessary . I used to have old Futaba FG series radios (gold series) and I think I was able to check through the charge jack. It's been a long time so my memory might be a litle rusty.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 AM
jetmech05

mostr radios either have a low voltage warning (bells and whistles) or a meter.....I have never had a transmitter ever get close to low voltage.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Lowvoltage

There is probably a diode in the charge circuit of your transmitter that will allow chargecurrent IN, but does not allow current OUT unless you remove the diode from the circuit.Withmy transmitter,if Iwant to cycle the batteries I have to remove the packfrom the transmitter and plugit into the chargerwith a servo type connector.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the analog meter on the radio is showing full charge then I would say you are good.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The meter on the transmitter is a load test. You have to remember the unit is on when that meter is working.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the same trainer and same radio I learned on. Yes, there is a diode in the charge jack circuit. If you want to check voltage via the charge jack you would need to short out (jumper) the diode. But there is no need to - the little meter on the transmitter is what to use.

Directions for jumpering the diode have been given many times here. Do a search if you're interested in doing it.