Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Park flying

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:00 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park flying

Bet this has been asked before. I am a member of the AMA and enjoying my nito birds , well one at this point. but being real new at this at times a park withing walking distance says come on down. If I was to get a small electric plane would I be able to fly at the park utilizing my current AMA numbner or do I have to spend the money to become a "park flier" ? Would not go there except a few times and without people around. I was thinking about that when I renewed membership. If I have to I will but my club being some twenty miles away, the park would really be nice to keep current so to speak. Looking for input and want to stay legal. gphil
Old 12-24-2012, 09:10 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Park flying

Regardles of your membership, AMA coverage is still secondary to your home owner policy if you have one. The full membership does cover you as a "Park Flyer". The "Park Flyer" membership was a reduced priced option designed to entice people who only flew small electric park flyers. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a standard AMA membership you should be covered as long as you follow the AMA safety guidlines.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what hugger said and..........

Make sure to read the park rules to see if your park commission thinks it's ok. If they are on a board somewhere in the park, it's easy to do.

The reason they post rules is because they have a responsibility too. If they don't exclude you and you're using your park, they usually have insurance. The park in town here specifies that AMA and non-AMA are permitted to fly on their runways and CL circles. And they are somewhat responsible for what they allow and what it can do.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know of no one that is a park flier that has bothered with joining the AMA. The whole idea of the small electrics was the freedom of flying at ball fields and parks. Joining the AMA is a good idea but the small park fliers were just toy planes you could use to teach the grand kids how to fly with. During the summer we fly after hours on golf courses and soccer fields in the area.
I'm sure the lawyers will have something to say about it but that would go for anything fun that isn't regulated.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do be careful about people at the park, as their presence does violate the AMA safety code. I fly a Stryker and a 450 heli at my local park when I can, and I have had people drive right through my flying area and walk up to me to see the plane. I don't mind the attention at all, but people can be remarkably dense in thinking that you know where they are and will avoid them if they decide to cross your flight path. So be mindful of people around and my advice is to land whenever you see or hear that someone is around so you can be sure where they are.