Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

nitromethane added to gas on a 2 stroke

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

nitromethane added to gas on a 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
joncammarata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitromethane added to gas on a 2 stroke

Have a question for the fuel experts out there. Each question will lead to yet another question.
What would happen if a little nitromethane (no methanol) was added to gas and ran in a 2 stroke gasser engine?
I understand that the specific energy of the combustion would be lowered in an open air environment because it would take longer for the nitro to release its oxigen but my specific question is this. Would the extra oxigen released from the nitro allow you to turn your needle richer than normal? If so, that means the fuel to air ratio would increase and there by increasing the overall amount of lubricant being used per stroke. Which leads to question #2.
Since more lube is going in can you lower the oil mix and still get the same amount lubrication. Which leads to question #3.
Would more fuel being able to run through while not needing as much atmospheric oxigen because of the nitro and decrease in oil percentage give more power?

I know I am missing something in my reasoning because, if I wasn't this would already be used in gasser fuels.

Can't wait to hear from all of you smart guys and gals on this. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: nitromethane added to gas on a 2 stroke

I can't answer all of those, but I can tell you that you wouldn't be able to go down on your oil percentage. If adding nitro does give you more power, you'll make more heat and may actually need more oil in your fuel. I suspect though the reason that nitro isn't normally added to gasser engines is that it doesn't mix well with gasoline. Drag racers have successfully used nitropropane with gasoline to get a little more power, but then that requires going to colder plugs and flushing out the fuel system after every use. Here's an article about it.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/n...dder_additive/
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
joncammarata

cool thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
GaryHarris

I don't think that's a good idea.