Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is this a LiFEPO4 battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is this a LiFEPO4 battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a LiFEPO4 battery?

The 50cc SBach I bought used came with receiver and ignition batteries, both stated to be 6.6V 2200 mAH LiFEPO4s. However, the form factors are very different from one another.

Receiver:

Ignition:

I've had both batteries out for a closer look (should have taken pictures then). The receiver battery is the expected rectangular shape has a label confirming it as a 6.6V 2200 mAH LiFEPO4, but the ignition battery is the shape of a couple of shrink-wrapped D-cells and no longer has a label.

I trust the previous owner but I would like to verify that the ignition battery could have that shape and still be a 6.6V LiFEPO4.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this a LiFEPO4 battery?

LiFe batts are about c cell size they would be 6.6 volts.. Careful though not all ignition systems like volts over 6
Old 01-09-2013, 04:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd guess the round ones are a123 or knock offs if they have no labels,, still LiFe chemistry and would charge the same way, Cut back the blue shrink wrap and see if any thing is printed on the cells. Genuine A123 cells with say it on the cells. Many different start ups were making and selling A123 packs, some real, some knock offs.

good luck
Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

To confirm, LiFe batteries are available in both formats- the round cells and flat cells. You can be 100% sure by doing a voltage test. If you are anywhere near 6v on the ignition pack, it can't be anything else but LiFe since Lipos have never been made as round hard cells and Li-ion's will have a higher voltage when charged.