Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Swastika

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The Swastika

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

"The first was a swastika on a Contender and the second was a Confederate flag on an old Intruder pattern plane."

You sound pretty much like me. Along with my avatar, I did this Red Neck truck, a number of years ago.

Les
    People are just too sensitive .... or maybe just want to play the VICTOME card ...

Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My son just bought a Stuke from Black Horse (I think). It's hanging in my garage, so I went and looked. It is a dark green, and has a black Swastika on the tail. Not very obtrusive, but it is there.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, that piqued my interest so I checked it out. Rather than providing the politically sensitive swastika they give you some innocuous angled thingy's which can be made into the correct markings. Brilliant!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75259.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1842595  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Well, that piqued my interest so I checked it out. Rather than providing the politically sensitive swastika they give you some innocuous angled thingy's which can be made into the correct markings. Brilliant! "

That does cover all the bases, doesn't it:-)))))))))))))

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: radfordc

ORIGINAL: svanvalkenburg

My point is I can buy any warbird and it's 100% (more or less) accurate unless it's German, then it's only 99% and I have to do the other 1% myself.
    That's not exactly true, either. I have a TF P-47. The kit decals included kill markings that are supposed to be swastikas, but they're not. They are little black crosses. So, apparently it's not even acceptable to have an accurate marking that represents a dead Nazi plane!
    I can't speak for your scale version but a great number of planes kills were painted as the iron cross and not the swastica.
    The three most useless things to a pilot, the sky above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel on the ground.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: svanvalkenburg

Well, that piqued my interest so I checked it out. Rather than providing the politically sensitive swastika they give you some innocuous angled thingy's which can be made into the correct markings. Brilliant!
    WoW! Who would have thought? History is not a bad thing if you, I can learn from it. I flew R/C with a former WWII Brit pilot,he signed up in Canada before we got into the war, name of Steve Crow. He was quite well known in AZ., and a real gentleman, some what of an R/C pioneer also. He started in Anchorage, AK on Bonner single channel escapement gear. He flew Lycanders, Hurricanes and finally the Spit and had 3 or 4 kills. When you asked him about it, he would say war is a horrible thing and I never want to be involved in it again! He could still fly R/C ok, up to abut 77. He helped me out with a couple of scale projects. Great guy that we who belonged to the Embry Riddle and Cheno Valley clubs in N. AZ miss a lot. wallace.tharp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I kind of remember several years back a scale competitor using backwards swasticas without penalty in scale competition as to not recreate the original image but not omit the marking either. Personally if I didn't want a swastica on a plane I would not model a german wwii plane.
    Contest Director for the AMA
    Grand Forks, North Dakota- Where time stands still but the air is always moving.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"using backwards swasticas without penalty in scale competition"

I don't know who ran that competition, but I would NOT compete in that venue. Scale competition is supposed to be a recreation of a plane that actually existed, recreated in miniature. I the judges are not going to be objective, how can you know what the REAL rules are??????? Outline = approximate OK. color = approximate OK; ete., etc., etc.

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: baronbrian

I kind of remember several years back a scale competitor using backwards swasticas without penalty in scale competition as to not recreate the original image but not omit the marking either. Personally if I didn't want a swastica on a plane I would not model a german wwii plane.
    If it's not too personal, why not?? I know why my dad would not buy a German or Japanese car. He still saw them as the enemy. I think the German aircraft of WWII are super interesting and fun to model. wallace.tharp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234