Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wraparound Pitts Muffler Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wraparound Pitts Muffler Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wraparound Pitts Muffler Modifications

I originally posted these pictures on the GS TF P-40 Thread, because of a problem some guys were having with cracking & weld failures on certain Wraparound Pitts Mufflers. I didn't want the same problem to occur, so I made some Modifications on my Muffler. I want to share these pictures of my modifications with others who have or had similar problems, not necessarily on the P-40, but with the Wraparound style Pitts Muffler.

The way I see it with this style or design, the one end of Cylindrical Muffler is unsupported, and with the normal occurrence of Engine Vibration and Shaking, allows further and excessive vibration to the unsupported end of the Muffler, which can cause the muffler mounting bolts to loosen, creating even more vibration and shaking contributing to eventual weld failures and cracks where the Rectangular Manifold is Welded to the Cylindrical Muffler.

The nice thing about these Modifications is that the unsupported end of the Muffler is now supported or attached to the engine, so it vibrates and moves with the engine, instead of bracing or supporting it to the firewall and moving or vibrating independantly which could allow for weld failures.

Not shown is the Lockable Wire through the bolt heads, this was done later after I ran the engine and re-tightened the bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26031.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1846796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20629.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1846797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40603.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.6 KB