Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Motor / ESC issues

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Motor / ESC issues

Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM
ppkk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor / ESC issues

Hi there,

I am setting up a little Delta wing plane and using the following motor/ESC:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25667
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4312

I am using a 5x3 prop, which is the recommended size for this setup. When increasing the throttle, the motor often stutters but doesn't start. I tried changing the motor lead connections around and it helped making the starting more regular (of course now the prop turns the opposite direction of what I want, but at least I can continue with the testing...) but the problem now is that when the throttle stick moves past the 50%-60% point, the motor abruptly cuts out, every time. I measured the current and I am barely registering 7 Amps which is well below the rating of the ESC (18A). So now I have two issues: the motor stuttering but not starting regularly, and when it does, it cuts out before I can get to full throttle. Any suggestions as to the issue? Is is likely a motor problem or an ESC issue?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Motor / ESC issues

You may have to calibrate the ESC to your TX stick parameters if this is the first time you are using the ESC with your TX. In other words. You have to teach the ESC where your TX throttle stick max high and max low positions are. Here is a link to your ESCs manual. Read the section called "THROTTLE RANGE SETTING" on page three.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X189350X31.pdf
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stuttering is normal for some brushless motor as you slowly move your throttle stick up. When you get just above the low/idle position they run normally if your esc is properly matched to your motor.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 AM
ppkk

Thanks, the only issue is that it keeps stuttering no matter how slowly I move the stick, it simply won't transition from stutter to motion.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you check and set the throttle calibration, if it is constantly stuttering regardless of throttle position then the motor is only running on 2-phase and not 3-phase meaning you probably have a bad connection on one of the three wires coming off the ESC or the motor or there is an internal problem with the ESC or motor
If the connections are all good then try the ESC on another motor and try another esc on this motor to determine which is at fault.
If you correct the connection issue and the motor now runs at full throttle but stutters at low to mid throttle then it is probably the ESC not being able to communicate properly with the responses from the motor. You can try changing the timing from low to mid or high and that may lessen the stuttering and/or you can adjust the start-up from normal to soft start and that may lessen it also.
If you have another ESC (any brushless esc ) you can test with the motor I'll bet the stuttering goes away as these plush esc's seem to have/create the stuttering problem. If you have a different motor , try it with this esc and see if it stutters or not.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
ppkk

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

After you check and set the throttle calibration, if it is constantly stuttering regardless of throttle position then the motor is only running on 2-phase and not 3-phase meaning you probably have a bad connection on one of the three wires coming off the ESC or the motor or there is an internal problem with the ESC or motor
If the connections are all good then try the ESC on another motor and try another esc on this motor to determine which is at fault.
If you correct the connection issue and the motor now runs at full throttle but stutters at low to mid throttle then it is probably the ESC not being able to communicate properly with the responses from the motor. You can try changing the timing from low to mid or high and that may lessen the stuttering and/or you can adjust the start-up from normal to soft start and that may lessen it also.
If you have another ESC (any brushless esc ) you can test with the motor I'll bet the stuttering goes away as these plush esc's seem to have/create the stuttering problem. If you have a different motor , try it with this esc and see if it stutters or not.
This is quite helpful, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and see if it works.

Any thoughts on the motor cutting out before reaching full throttle? I have calibrated the throttle to no avail.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Mnw1998

I had almost the same problem with my turnigy ESC it shuttered but never powered up when on full throttle. I found out that the ESC was bad when i had a friend with tons of extras just like mine and new. Didn't have that problem since. But What is going on now is when i got to complete dead to full throttle it acts like it going to fire up and it does but then it shuts off. So all i really have to do now is throttle up slowly. THis is a pain but the ESC is a cheap one so you do get what you pay for
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM
ppkk

ORIGINAL: Mnw1998

I had almost the same problem with my turnigy ESC it shuttered but never powered up when on full throttle. I found out that the ESC was bad when i had a friend with tons of extras just like mine and new. Didn't have that problem since. But What is going on now is when i got to complete dead to full throttle it acts like it going to fire up and it does but then it shuts off. So all i really have to do now is throttle up slowly. THis is a pain but the ESC is a cheap one so you do get what you pay for
Actually this is the first time I've experienced this type of problem with Turnigy gear. I ordered an identical motor and ESC and when I changed the motor the problem went away, so that's where the issue was.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a magnet coming loose inside the motor , or simply a cold solder joint on one of the 3 wires inside the motor. Or something isn't true (bit out of round) due to a manufacturing defect and lack of quality control testing