Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Swapping Servo Connectors

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Swapping Servo Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:22 PM
zxcv11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Servo Connectors

I first posted this in Tips/Tech....but have had no luck with any input...[&o]...so I figured maybe I might try here..

"I am currently in the process of swapping out some old G-style connectors on some "vintage" Futaba FP-S38 Servos. I "think" my best bet to cover the solder joints would be to use some good-ol shrink wrap tubing....on a very low heat setting of course, so as not to melt my cables. (Don't laugh, but have done this before YEARS ago on some very small microphones I was adaptiong for performers ) Any other suggestions, tips, ect would be greatly appreceated as I have never done this type of adaptation in this specific application...i.e. servos in an airplane subject to who knows what stresses(newbie). Also, the wire gauge on my new J plugs is a heavier 22AWG....thought this might help too for sturdier signal carrying?? Opinions anyone??
Thanx in advance
Brian
Old 09-17-2003, 12:39 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Swapping Servo Connectors

Have a look at this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=172
Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM
zxcv11

Interesting...I would have never thought to use a lighter to shrink the tubing!! And what a great way to have much more precise control over the heat pattern, unlike a gun where your blowing a wide swath of hot air, which often will soften up, if not melt, your other wires!!
Thanx MF [&:]
Old 09-17-2003, 07:10 PM
iowanspctr

I did exactly this with my old servos, must have worked, still flying. I've always used a lighter for shrink tube, doesn't take much heat.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:40 AM
RobStagis

You ARE gonna solder the wires, right? We do this all the time on R/C sailboats - we're using, in some cases, ancient equipment, and it's easier to swap in a nice receiver and change connectors. I cut, strip, pretin the individual wires at both ends, then slip on a big piece of tubing, then small-diameter tubing over each wire...solder 'em up, slip the individual tubes up, shrink, then the big one goes over the whole mess.......
Old 09-18-2003, 12:04 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Since you will have your soldering iron (gun) there anyway, you can use it to shrink the tubing. No need for a lighter. Just hold the iron close to the shrink tubing.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:03 PM
zxcv11

ORIGINAL: RobStagis

You ARE gonna solder the wires, right?
Ya Rob......think I covered that 1 in the original post [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
ORIGINAL: zxcv11
...........I "think" my best bet to cover the solder joints would be
I was, though, very interested in the shrink wrap ideas and input for protecting my joints....lol.[sm=wink.gif]
Thanx guys for the re-enforcement.
Brian