Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dubro EZ-Fill Valve

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dubro EZ-Fill Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro EZ-Fill Valve

Anyone have experience with the Dubro EZ-Fill valve? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDG9&P=7 I'd tried the Quick-Fill ones but they always leaked (usually air) after a few cycles. I usually use a 3-line system but can't with the setup in one plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68839.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1861618  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Dubro EZ-Fill Valve

I wont use one...I like the 3 line system
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for them either, Seen one of the newer type cause troubles. I'd just use a regular "T" fitting and a fuel dot.
What is preventing you from using a third line ?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I through away a large collection of fueling valves of many brands some time back and I did not want to give them away as I would have felt to guilty.

I also abandoned three line systems some time back and these days only use two line systems, cowlings are never a problem and it is so much easier with fewer failure points and never ever agine have to look for lost fuel dots in the dirt.

John
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

Anyone have experience with the Dubro EZ-Fill valve? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDG9&P=7 I'd tried the Quick-Fill ones but they always leaked (usually air) after a few cycles. I usually use a 3-line system but can't with the setup in one plane.
What is preventing the 3-line system from being possible?,, I too stopped using those type valves,, the will leak sooner or later
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
RC_Fanatic

The plane has a 16 oz Hayes fuel tank and I can't see how install a second line inside for the fill/drain. My experience with a 2-line system using a "T" for filling is that, when filling, fuel leaks into the carb and either floods the engine or makes a mess inside the cowling. On this plane, there is no easy way to get a hemostat in to clamp off the line at the carb. What I have now is a brass "U" connected to lines from the tank and to the carb that come through the side of the fuselage. I pull the lines out, disconnect the one to the tank and fill through that line. The original owner had the fuel filter on the outside and disconnected one of the lines to it to refuel. I think the reason for the engine stopping resulting in a crash is that the fuel filter came adrift in the air! [:@]

Yes, I could get a different tank! That's probably the only solution. Getting the tank in and out is a hassle but...
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
JohnBuckner

The Hayes tank is not the problem, The problem is the insistance on using an unneccessary third line. Hayes tanks are far superior to the ordinary bung plug type with more reliabilty and the bung plug never rots. Far easyier to to use and assemble. Never a lost fuel dot in the dirt, Much faster fueling.

With over fifty plug an play birds almost all are now Hayes and the two line system.

I posted many pictures in the past with aircraft using a cowl and the two line system I will post one of them agine. I can hear the cry of anguish over an extra hole the cowling even over the internet but consider this since I started using Hayes and a two line system almost exclusively perhaps about eight years ago you will be hardpressed to find any of our local flyers still using a valve and/or third lines. Wonder why?

John

Name:	Fd92146.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1861907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91543.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1861908  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
JohnBuckner

In addition this method offers the all important access if one practices tunning two stroke glow engine to a pinch. Its far easier and more accurate method than a tach in my opinion for two stroke glow engines. Its a method I make sure all my students are proficient at. Problem is ya can,t do it if ya got no place to pinch fuel feed line.

Name:	Ig12271.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1861912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61228.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1861913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18858.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1861914  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
RC_Fanatic

John,

What you show is essentially what I have now! Since I already have the two holes, there is no additional pain and anguish! Guess I'll stick with it so you can paint another cross on your plane for another 3-line system shot down.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
JohnBuckner

Yes indeed it is, the only diff is I just make the loop of fuelline and that way you can do the pinch rather than with a 'U' shaped tube. Great give it a chance, you will likely come to love the hayes tanks with a two line system.

For what its worth I can remove and re install the 'O' ring plug indefinately and no leaks and no way can you do that with a conventional. it will leak profusely after not to many install cycles also the rubber plug will harden and crack far faster than the 'O' ring will.

By the way the hayes is also usable with gasolene with no pickup tube or 'O' ring changes like you have to do with the conventionals.

The only problem with Hayes is the largest tank is the 16 ounce I did discuss this with those folks at a dealer show last year and the price of tooling up larger tanks is prohibitive in this economc climate. I do use the 16 in one of my 55 OS GT's powered airplane but this is not a problem for this old man who gets tired after five or six minites and there is plenty of fuel left.

I also have the sixteen in a very vintage 124 inch giant floater with an OS 33 GT and since the throttle never really goes above a full idle that ship can fly around a half hour.

John

Oh I forgot this two line system is even superior with the engine completely exposed and has a remote needle valve. I see those folks using needle nose or forceps trying to reinstall the fuel line on the rear needle inlet and cussing it. Its so simple to just cut the feedline wherever is quick and easy and put your little tube there

Here are some photos on my little combat thing and its now so quick and easy

Name:	Mk24796.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1862037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1862038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48094.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1862039  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Hey John, that is kinda cool. I have two questions about it. Does the front line ever drop into the cowl while you are fueling the plane or have the lines disconnected for whatever reason, and is there anything to prevent you (or me) installing the outer ring of a fuel dot to make it look finished?
Max
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Hey John, that is kinda cool. I have two questions about it. Does the front line ever drop into the cowl while you are fueling the plane or have the lines disconnected for whatever reason, and is there anything to prevent you (or me) installing the outer ring of a fuel dot to make it look finished?
Max

Thanks max, I suppose the secret of not having a hose slip back and this has never been a problem for me on anything is to make the tubes long enough. Contrary to popular opinion this does not present running problems.

What I do on every new ship it to install one very long hose through both holes (sometimes is a single slot all the way to the rear edge of the cowl so cowling instalation or removal is a zip. I make the cut joint so they both will protrude out the hole a ways and after fueling just tuck it up close. This involve a little experimentation in working out where the cut is to be and how long both hoses ends up.

If you want the decorative ring sure why not? there is no reason not to.

Here are some more:

John

Name:	Wu60318.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1862333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41031.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1862334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25122.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1862335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80750.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1862336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22203.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	1862337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42582.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	1862338  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM
RC_Fanatic

My Father had a saying "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!" I'm sure John will see this as excessive. However, in my defense, I did not chrome it!

Name:	Om32738.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1862349  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

John, I like it. That solves a problem that I have been wrestling with the past few days. I am at the stage of running fuel lines for an RV-4 build and I bought one of those very valves that RC_Fanatic started this thread with and was toying with whether or not to use it and if I did, where to put it. This solves that problem. This cowl has huge chipmunk cheeks on it. I can simply drill two holes on the top side of the cheek on the right side of the plane and do John's thing. Problem solved. And it won't ever leak. Such a simple solution to a problem.
Max

Name:	Hf98264.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1862446  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
JohnBuckner

John,

What you show is essentially what I have now! Since I already have the two holes

Yes indeed that is essentiallly the same and will also work perfectly fine, please note I even suggested that you stick with it.

There is no pain and anguish coming from me, Max delighted I could help you.

John
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
kwblake

Does Hayes have a website? When I google it, all I get is suppliers.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM
RC_Fanatic

– If you need more information, use these Hayes resources – Phone: 714-554-0531. And you need to call when Mike is there!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My Father had a saying "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!" I'm sure John will see this as excessive. However, in my defense, I did not chrome it!
Needs more bling!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

In addition this method offers the all important access if one practices tunning two stroke glow engine to a pinch. Its far easier and more accurate method than a tach in my opinion for two stroke glow engines. Its a method I make sure all my students are proficient at. Problem is ya can,t do it if ya got no place to pinch fuel feed line.
Describe your pinch test method.
I tried this years ago, and didn't really see how pinching the lines and seeing the results were anywhere close to the accuracy of a good ear, or a good tachometer.

Greg
Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 AM
JohnBuckner

Pinch tuning is tunning by ear Old Rookie and it is nothing more than tunning the high speed needle in response to a rapid and consistant pinch of the fuel feed done with the same timing and by the same individual every time.

As you know if you actually did try at some point that its simply a realization as to which way the main needs to change and how much by the engines response to this rapid and consistant pinch.

Is it intuiitive? well yes of course and if you think about it perhaps less so than even a tach which always involves setting to some arbitrary point (fill in the blank) below peak.

It is a highly effective method if one takes the time to practice it and is consistant in the way the pinch is performed.

John
Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No fuel valves for me. I also use two lines in the tank, one feed and one vent but I place a T fitting on the fuel feed line and run that to my Dubro fuel dot.

Bob

Name:	Us53116.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1866341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25513.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1866342