Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

wire cutting on servos ext wire

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

wire cutting on servos ext wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wire cutting on servos ext wire

if the ext wires are to long can they or would you cut the wire on the ext wire........need to remove 1ft or so........thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: wire cutting on servos ext wire

I don't use store bought extensions but I do cut the servo wire and splice in the length needed. I have been known to remove some of the extensions and re-solder them if they are too long for a different plane. No reason to do it other then having a cleaner look inside the plane. I have also just wrapped the wire and used a fiber tie to shorten/clean them up.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
jetmech05

As an avionics s tech I would not cut to splice just because the leads are too long. Instead I'd fold the extra length back and forth and either tye wrap or tape it in place. No matter how good the splice is it is not as good as the wire
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This depends on the plane; on a very small one where weight is important as well as space, I'd cut and splice to shorten, on a larger plane, just fold and tie back. Contrary to one input above, a properly made splice is ever bit as reliable as the original full length wire.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Handyman the answer to your question is yes the wires can be cut and shortened for a custom fit. Been doing it as far back as I can remember quite successfully.

Yes there is good reason for doing it and that is reducing total resistance and more importantly eliminating excessive numbers of plugs. The worst ones are the buried and hidden plugs which do corrode and cause problems. This because the plugs are never self cleaning from use like the ones that are used routinely plugged and un plugged.

Virtually every one of my airplanes for instance that require aileron extensions as GB described will simply cut the new leads in two and solder in the perfect length of new heavy duty servo wire (I prefer the twisted).

Both of my P-38's required 68 solder joints and if I had attemped to use standand length extensions exclusively it would have resulted in excessive extra wire and worst far to many buried plugs.

I am not a electronic techie of any sort and do not want to be, I am a survivor. Acquire the tools, Learn to solder simple splices now. It is the perfect place to start learning to solder and you will not be sorry for making the effort.

John
Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done some splicing on my latest project. I put together a simple clamping tool that makes things easier.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: handyman

if the ext wires are to long can they or would you cut the wire on the ext wire........need to remove 1ft or so........thanks

It seems rather foolish to me to cut a section out of a servo lead and solder it back together. If this is a common practice in your shop then I suggest that you cut off the connector, cut the wire back to the required length and install a new connector. No soldering involved. There are crimping tools and connector parts available so you can install a new connector the same way the servo manufacturer does. http://hansenhobbies.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

In most cases, I would just leave it be.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Installing a new plug and new crimps is already wasteful since what I suggested is the already new servos and plug mearly has the lead cut in half. This also accounts for the difficulty in obtaining the crimps as well as the tool. Now I have in the past tried at least four different brands/types of crimpers specified for these plugs and all were difficult to use involving much waste in crimps every time to say nothing of costs and frustration.

Just cut the new servos lead in half and Shorten as needed then resolder is a far simpler technique and safer as the crimping involves a skill set that can easily be poorly done making the crimp easy to pull out. The majority of cases involves lengthening the leads and adding wire.

Grosbeck that is a very handy tool you have devised there indeed. The technique I use for simple wire splices is to use a wooden furniture clamp to hold each side one at a time to tin the leads. Then for final soldering to hold each side then just lay the opposites sides tinned lead aginst that one with one hand and a touch of the iron in the other untill the solder flows. Do not try to twist the leads together.

John
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
JohnBuckner

Here is the standard duty Hitec servo bulk wire (enough to make a lot of custom aileron leads or fuselage leads). Or the heavy duty is 15.95 I think. My personal preferance is the twisted heavy duty type avalible intermintantly from servo city and possibly from others.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPWC1&P=RF

John
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Installing a new plug and new crimps is already wasteful since what I suggested is the already new servos and plug mearly has the lead cut in half. This also accounts for the difficulty in obtaining the crimps as well as the tool. Now I have in the past tried at least four different brands/types of crimpers specified for these plugs and all were difficult to use involving much waste in crimps every time to say nothing of costs and frustration.

Just cut the new servos lead in half and Shorten as needed then resolder is a far simpler technique and safer as the crimping involves a skill set that can easily be poorly done making the crimp easy to pull out. The majority of cases involves lengthening the leads and adding wire.

Grosbeck that is a very handy tool you have devised there indeed. The technique I use for simple wire splices is to use a wooden furniture clamp to hold each side one at a time to tin the leads. Then for final soldering to hold each side then just lay the opposites sides tinned lead aginst that one with one hand and a touch of the iron in the other untill the solder flows. Do not try to twist the leads together.

John
I agree with the comments on crimping. I'm good with my hands, I really am, and I'm happy to practice a new skill. I bought a bunch of bulk servo wire, some connectors and a the specific crimper and spent several hours trying to get it right. That's time and money chalked up to experience but with no other gain.

John, glad you like the tool. I use a method similar to yours. I tin each wire first, then put them in the clamping tool with the wires touching. A touch of the iron until they flow together, and you're good to go. Each individual wire get sheathed in a heat shrink tube, then all of the wires get sheathed together with a bigger tube.

I'm done with crimping. If I need a shorter wire I'll cut and splice or fold and tie. If I need a longer one I'll find an extension, cut and splice.

Incidentally, I bought a Trakpower soldering station a few months ago and I love the thing.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle
ORIGINAL: handyman
It seems rather foolish to me to cut a section out of a servo lead and solder it back together .... I suggest that you cut off the connector, cut the wire back to the required length and install a new connector.
+ (another) 1.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM
KW_Counter

Been doing it as far back as I can remember quite successfully.
Is that successfully rewiring or successfully remembering?

Sorry, John. I couldn't stop myself.

KW_Counter