Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you do to overcome age-related farsightedness and other vision problems?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you do to overcome age-related farsightedness and other vision problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do to overcome age-related farsightedness and other vision problems?

Recently, I have started developing an accelerated vision problem for reading small fonts and seeing small objects closely.

My eye doctor cannot correct that problem with prescription glasses, as he states it is retina-related.

I would like to learn solutions from members suffering age-related farsightedness and other vision problems.

Please, please,............don't use little fonts to respond to this thread...........
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What do you do to overcome age-related farsightedness and other vision problems?

My right eye was so bad I had double vision and everything was fuzzy. I just flew the bottom plane and would close my right eye to make my approach turn and line up on the runway then open the other eye before touch down of the bottom plane. I finally got it corrected with a correct RX but the right eye is getting bad again in less then a year. I have another appointment to see what they can do about it in June. VA eye Dr. so it takes some time to get in. Maybe the cataract is big enough to remove now? Not a lot they can do with old age eyes though.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: What do you do to overcome age-related farsightedness and other vision problems?

As some of my OLD CLUB members got older, they just built bigger airplanes to deal with that situation!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Continual eye exams, wearing sunglasses and making sure UV protection is provided in the lenses.

Then go with slower and larger airplanes...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM
kwblake

"Youth is wasted on the young" George Bernard Shaw

Another one, from someone in these forums, "Golden Years my *****"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Villa

I have been getting an eye exam every year since I turned about 65. I'm 77 now. I keep the plane closer now. I also use yellow and red covering to help me see the plane. Instead of doing a lot of arial acrobatics I do about 10 landings per flight, and always land directly in front of me, going left to right or right to left, as needed by the wind direction. A 10 minute flight is now a long flight. I also use a Tilley sombrero style hat to keep the cancer causing sun off my head. My older brother got skin cancer on the upper tips of his ears, which promted me use the Tilley hat. I have been using transition glasses (the ones that automatically turn into sunglasses in bright sunlight) for about 8-10 years. I believe in the beginning they would not brighten up fast when going into the shade. Now they seem to be just perfect. I'm on my second or third pair. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turned 62 just this week and have worn glasses for years. Some of what I do has already been mentioned. Here is some of my efforts that have paid off.
1. Try putting checkerboard or neon orange trim on the underneath side of the leading edge.
2. Make sure your colors don't gray out on cloudy days. Like diving, some colors are great in sunlight, but disappear with reduced sun.
3. Fly small planes closer and/or move to larger ones. I like the .120 sizes more and more nowadays.
4. Use a good pair of sunglasses to cut glare and filter light. I have an old pair of zurich's that are ugly, but fit over my glasses and work well.
5. Make sure your top and bottom coloring has a lot of contrast. It is important in both low level and bright sunlight.

I am sure there are more, but I continue to use as many of these at one time to help. The more you can fit into each flight the easier on your eyes and the less strain you put on them for each flight.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ditto for me on the larger planes and brighter colors, at least a .60 size is what I prefer. Looking to update the hanger with another .120 size. A .40 has to be flown close!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't see small things, then fly big things! You need to upgrade your fleet, preferably with nothing smaller than 50cc.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At age 62, I have to admit my fleet of planes is getting larger and slower as well. I also like building them and the bigger kits take longer to build and are easier to fly, so it is a win win for me. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I make sure I always go flying when one of my son's are available to "pit crew" for me. There are my Backup eyes.

Les
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not kidding but have you ever thought of flying helicopters?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: kwblake

''Youth is wasted on the young'' George Bernard Shaw

Another one, from someone in these forums, ''Golden Years my *****''
Add: Getting old is not for sissies...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Iron Bottom

I know what you are going through, Grey beard. I have had both lens replaced and had to wait until I had no useable vision, (could tell a light was on only), before I got the lens. Now I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye. I still have to wear glasses for close work, but I'll take it all day long.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep, larger planes and brighter colors.  I had a 52" red, white and yellow Extra 300 - traded it for a 72" Tiger 60.  And it took me 4 years to build a 43" Royal Midi Corsair in the tri-color scheme - when I got done I couldn't see it.

The worst part is that prices seem to go up by volume (wingspan percentage cubed).
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: biam

Ditto for me on the larger planes and brighter colors, at least a .60 size is what I prefer. Looking to update the hanger with another .120 size. A .40 has to be flown close!
1.20 size.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like you wont have a problem flying(looks like others have problem reading too ) as you can see in the distance OK, but closeup will really hurt your building and repair.  I found using brighter light and really big magnifying glass helps me, I am near sighted, but cant see up close unless I use reading glasses. Damned eyes.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

Recently, I have started developing an accelerated vision problem for reading small fonts and seeing small objects closely.

My eye doctor cannot correct that problem with prescription glasses, as he states it is retina-related.

I would like to learn solutions from members suffering age-related farsightedness and other vision problems.

Please, please,............don't use little fonts to respond to this thread...........
I am very pleased to see this thread about age-related eyesight problems. I love Olive Drab flat green but when I see it in the sky it becomes a big blob. I have to add Normandy invasion stripes and a light covering on the bottom to aid in visibility. I sometimes add a stripe of "safety orange" on the vertical stab. And flying into the sun is something I avoid entirely. So........oliveDrab (that's me) stay's away from Olive Drab colored airplanes now. The attached Pilatus PC9 in red, white, and blue is a color scheme I can see.

Would like to see this thread expanded to include ALL age-related problems. I have a problem standing for long periods of time due to flat feet and bad lower back. Stretching and Vitamin I (ibuprofen) are a big help. Also, I have a problem when standing over a large plane - working on it, putting it together, etc. If I'm leaning over it with legs straight - knees not bent - then I experience lower back pain really fast. Totally ruins my day.

I'm off topic - sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11921.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1870766  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The topic originator never said couldn't see his airplanes... just small fonts and objects up close.
My solution? Find the right reading glass magnification 1.5? 2.0? 2.5? and then purchase 2 packs of 3 ea. at CostCo.
Put them ALL OVER THE HOUSE, including your shop and field box.
This is what I have had to do.
Wearing glasses while working on my models is a PAIN in the A!!! But it's the only way I can see small objects anymore.

I have also found that LOW LIGHT situations make the problem that much worse... MAKE SURE you have good shop lighting and keep plenty of small LED flashlights handy. These are very cheap and can be purchased at Harbor Freight Tools. Sometimes, they even give them away with your purchases.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: acdii

Sounds like you wont have a problem flying (looks like others have problem reading too ) as you can see in the distance OK, but closeup will really hurt your building and repair. I found using brighter light and really big magnifying glass helps me, I am near sighted, but cant see up close unless I use reading glasses. Damned eyes.
Yes, my magnifier has become my best friend !!!

I have even used these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-98722.html

Although keep them in the eye is a pain.

For flying, polarized prescription glasses have been magnificent so far.

ORIGINAL: RichardGee
Put them ALL OVER THE HOUSE, including your shop and field box............
That is my big problem with my unique prescription glasses for near vision,............ I keep misplacing them
Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Simple solution to a common problem: Fly control line planes! No searching for lost planes, just real in your lines! Just as much fun, cheaper and simpler.

Don't like that plan?

Then fly closer in, slower planes or larger planes.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
ssautter

My solution is to log-off and go fly!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
fred985

if you are developing cataracs they dont have to get "big" to remove,,,,the lense is removed and replased with an opticaly corect new lense. i had both eyes done last year and came out better than 20/20. only takes a couple minuites for each eye. get biggers planes and fly closer,,,,hehe.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM
GRandolph

If you want a bright color that is easy to see in low light, you can't beat neon green monokote (see ugly stik photo). This is the same color used for some fire engines and ambulances. they use this particular color because it is the last color that is perceptible by the human eye as the sun goes down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86577.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	1870983  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM
warbird addict

LMFAO!!!!!! I put on my Fred Sanford readers and stumble around alot, I'm Damned near blind in one eye and cannot hear sh(t out of the other one! welcome to middle age my friend. 3 edits later and I finally got it somewhat readable , guess I shoulda put them Fred Sanfords on, thank god for the backspace button and the edit button or this post would look like Helen Keller typed it drunk without the aide of Braille LMAO !!!!!! One Does what One has to !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.