Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

receivers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receivers

My first plane had all the radio and batteries wrapped in foam and stuck in the plane, held with Velcro. I have since been noticing the latter planes and in the magazines, have the receivers just held in place with a strap , some even using tie wraps. Which is best. The 2.4 units are small and have seen some on the sides of fuselage, inside. Actually the foam is good but needed? Crashes sure but sure seems to free up some space inside when not using foam. Newer electronics not as prone to be hurt by vibrations etc. ??? Your views appreciated, thanks . gphil
Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: receivers

Crystal based stuff was a lot more prone to issues with vibration than the solid state SMT stuff we run today.

I install recievers with velcro and a strap, that gives security and some vibration isolation with the neat installation you get without foam.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Droiddr

I am not the most experienced guy, recently got back into RC and was wondering similar stuff.

For the battery, I enveloped it in thin foam rubber.

The receiver I wrapped around some thin foam rubber as well, did not bother with top or bottom. I left the servo leads uncovered to easily disconnect/connect them.
Before that I tried to velcro it to the fuse side, but I was not happy with it, too 'wobbly' that could lead to problems later. I suppose I could have used a tie wrap, one end of it glued to the fuse.

I then just but a small piece of lite-ply about 5" by 1/2" across the fuselage interior and I just tapped the receiver to the light ply piece with some fiber reinforced tape (best tape I have ever seen). I fixed the ply piece on top of some triangle stock on both fuse sides with 2 small screws so I can easily remove it if I want it, yet leaving it strong (I like to use thin CA in the screw holes, wait for it to dry and that leaves the screw threads hard). The area around the receiver is basically pretty empty

I don't know what people typically do, but I am sure this will work for me.
As mentioned, is the foam rubber or equivalent still desirable?
Suggestions would be welcome for better ideas!

This setup was in a 4 star 40.

Later!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

One other reason people stopped wrapping the 2.4 RXs in foam was it was believed built up heat was causing "brown outs", The RX turning itself off and back on, but not in time before the plane crashes.

Wrapping in foam is not needed in most apps with 2.4, the velcro is enough vibration protection. I normally just use velcro and one small loosely fitted tie-wrap just to prevent the velcro from coming apart. this system has worked well for years

good luck
Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
gphil

All good information.   I have never liked the battery and radio gear wrapped in the foam.   Hard to get out if needed and look sloppy.   Thanks  gphil
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Droiddr

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Wrapping in foam is not needed in most apps with 2.4, the velcro is enough vibration protection. I normally just use velcro and one small loosely fitted tie-wrap just to prevent the velcro from coming apart. this system has worked well for years
Thanks,

Do the 2.4 ghz receivers have some built in vibration protection? I would not be surprised.

Thanks, I will make it without foam next time. Velcro and a strap or tie wrap seems perfect: the wrap garanties the Rx stays there without actually needing to be tight.
How do you typically fasten the strap or tie-wrap to the surface? Epoxy?

How do you fasten your batteries?
In my case for the four-star 40 I have a relatively heavy engine, so I had to put the battery behind the wing area to avoid putting weight on the tail. I built a small ply box and since the battery has thin foam, it fits perfectly without being too tight or bouncing around. I put a piece of ply in front of the box fitted with screws for easy removal of the battery.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
BarracudaHockey

It's not that they have built in protection, they are simply made of components that don't vibrate out.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

It's not that they have built in protection, they are simply made of components that don't vibrate out.
What he said!! The newer 2.4 ghz gear isn't as prone to vibration as it use to be.

When I install a 2.4 receiver I usually put a small piece of foam under it as a little shock prevention and then just velcro it in place. Having to wrap a receiver in foam like we used to do isn't needed near as much these days.

hope this helps

Ken

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

What he said!! The newer 2.4 ghz gear isn't as prone to vibration as it use to be.

When I install a 2.4 receiver I usually put a small piece of foam under it as a little shock prevention and then just velcro it in place. Having to wrap a receiver in foam like we used to do isn't needed near as much these days.

hope this helps

Ken

Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First and formost 2.4 has provided freedom from the frequency board and another by product of that is freedom from the great gobs of foam we formerly used.

As noted the heat is more of an enemy to 2.4 than vibration as one manufacturer found out early on and Hitec for example has made vailed implications aginst its use. One such item was called the Hitec Rx blanket a popular item laminated cloth and foam intended to wrap the Rx in and included with every new Rx. That is until the Hitec 2.4,s hit the market and the blanket suddenly disappeard.

I mount all my Rx's on Velcro the Hooks ca'd to the Rx and the loops ca'd in the fuselage and I feel no tie wraps needed.

John
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Droiddr

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

As noted the heat is more of an enemy to 2.4 than vibration as one manufacturer found out early on and Hitec for example has made vailed implications aginst its use. One such item was called the Hitec Rx blanket a popular item laminated cloth and foam intended to wrap the Rx in and included with every new Rx. That is until the Hitec 2.4,s hit the market and the blanket suddenly disappeard.

I mount all my Rx's on Velcro the Hooks ca'd to the Rx and the loops ca'd in the fuselage and I feel no tie wraps needed.

John
Thanks for the mention about the heat, there is indeed a fair amount of current going through a Rx and they are way smaller than the equivalent 72Mhz. I will remove the foam around the Rx and use Velcro. Without foam, the seating against velcro will be more robust. The Velcro itself should provide enough vibration damping.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gave up wrapping my Rx's in foam around 1983 or so. I would use two layers of double sided foam tape and put a few drops of Ca on the side I was sticking to the side of the fuse. Most of those I flew with were appalled at the way I put my Rx's in. They claim I was going to have nothing but trouble and they would fail and I was going to crash and burn. Never happened. Crystals never came out, no issues what so ever.

It was so much easier then the foam, not just any old foam, but the anti static, non conducting high dollar foam to boot. I would put a layer of the foam, gently holding the Kraft Rx's, then wrap loosely with electrical tape. Then I would bend up some wire to make hooks I would glue down with lite play, then wrap a rubber band around the Rx and battery. Could take a while to mount the Rx and battery. I still use the double sided tape to mount my Rx's. Even the ones I take out of the case to make them lighter.

I have mostly gone to "E" power so I have no worry about vibs now. Not like my old .91Fs shaking the whole plane.

Buzz.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Batteries still need some vibration protection. Every connection between the cells is a place where vibration can cause a failure along with the lead coming out. I couldn't tell you if the cells themselves are vulnerable to vibration damage, but with a thin layer of foam you get it anyway.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel bad enough after a crash, without needing the added grief of having to replace receivers, battery packs, etc. Foam wrapping them keeps them SAFE.

Les
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Flying only 72 Mhz perhaps but If you are using 2.4 and wrapping the Rx's up in their own little bake ovens then that may cause the crash in the first place this is especially so in areas that commonly get over a hundred degrees, think about what it can reach in a hot little foam package inside the airplane with the Rx on.

To anyone who is new it would be wise indeed to avoid wrapping up a 2.4 Rx in foam and perhaps avoiding the mystery crashes.

Just one mans opinion.

John
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM
BarracudaHockey

Two men's, because I agree whole heartedly
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Droiddr

That's great info guys,

People forget about reliability and the relationship with the $$$ in the plane.
Things like making sure the Rx does not overheat, connections are secure etc are important if you want to keep flying that plane.

Also the savings on being cheap can cost you much more than it saves. So I guess common sense prevails, get a quality Rx, BAttery without going crazy.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Just shows my lack of experience with 2.4. What is it in any receiver that generates that much heat?. Sounds like something is being pushed way beyond where it should be.\\\\

Les
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Droiddr

I can see where the heat gets there.

Maybe the receiver part itself does not draw a lot of power, but the current that goes to the servos flow through the receiver (the power bus is INSIDE the receiver). On big servos this can be a lot, I am not sure how much heat that part generates.....
Plus if there is a built in voltage regulation in the receiver to power the receiver circuit that would be another source of heat generation.
So maybe the heat generation is mostly that? I am not sure.

Add to that the case of the receiver is way smaller than the 72mhz ones, that means less surface for heat dissipation.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The bulk of the heat generated in the receiver is in the voltage regulator. All good receivers regulate the voltage going to the RF section (usually to about 3 volts +-.02. This is usually (if not always) a series regulator which is very wasteful as all excess voltage is bled off as heat. Confined in a small place, this regulator can get very hot especially if using more than a 4 cell power supply.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Maybe the receiver part itself does not draw a lot of power, but the current that goes to the servos flow through the receiver (the power bus is INSIDE the receiver)."

If the current flow through the conductor is generating heat, the conductor is way too small and WILL go away.

Les