Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

using rudder

Old 05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: using rudder

I am kind of amazed how flying helicopters makes you a better plane pilot. Any flight time is good time and experience is gained. Fly the tail.

ORIGINAL: flycatch
Amen on chopter pilots and rudder management. I taught myself to fly helicopters and rudder is not optional.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only planes I have mixed rudder with the ailerons are a couple of Bipes to help coordinate the turns. I only mixed in 10% and did have it on a switch. Other then Bipes I have never used the mix but it does have a time and place. Just not very often.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third on the helicopter flying and using the rudder stick separately. My airplane flying improved a ton after learning to hover a heli.

You could buy a little heli and work on it that way, or just go up high and steer around with rudder only. Get used to that, then continue using rudder to steer the plane doing level 8's, and add a little aileron back in. You will strat to see how rudder and aileron together really make a plane turn nicer.

As a glider flyer, I can tell you that the plane will definitely glide better when coordinated with rudder. So, using your rudder can indeed stretch your glide on a dead-stick, if nothing else...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM
stevegauth30

I made myself learn to fly the rudder after watching a plane lawn dart after the aileron servo wire vibrated loose. Not a good time to try and learn it then. Now I'll sometimes fly around with out using ailerons just for the practice, in case that ever happened again. I always use the plastic clips after that too. Any way, once you get the feel for it, you don't even realize your using it, but you are.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

This is simply not allowed. Please do not ask about it again. 10 to 15% percent would be a good starting point but I do not believe this would be legal at most flying fields. You should probably contact AMA directly, or SFA if need be.

Kurt

My sarcasm was in anticipation of the many responses that would not answer Rye's question, but rather tell him not to do it. Perhaps you have to be married for over 20 years to develop healthy sarcasm.
His only question was: "what % should i mix the rudder in at?"

Hugger-4641 got it.

Kurt
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everybody can roll their eyes now, but the "old way" of learning R/C with two-channel (rudder/elevator) gliders taught you to use rudder and not fear deadsticks.  Also, any flight time in a real small-plane teaches you to apply opposite rudder as a matter of course to "center the ball" and it becomes second nature. 

Bottom line: you can learn to program mixes or you can learn to fly.  ;-)
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Use the rudder manually. With experience you'll make a decision as to what you want to do. Personally, I don't mix anything. I think it's more fun to actually have to make the flight control inputs myself! Nothing more fun than crabbing a Cub down the runway rolling one wheel, lifting, crabbing the other way and then rolling the other wheel. Can't do that if you mix stuff!
Why not?? The rudder still works when you mix in a little offset. you guys make it sound like if you have a mix the rudder it will no longer respond to the rudder stick movement,, all it does is adjust the trim position slightly.. The rudder still works.
OK... I will re-phrase it. You may not be able to do stuff like that with the 'mix'. I don't want to mix any fun away as far as my flying is concerned!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think somebody did mention that rudder mixing wasn't allowed, its actually far stricter than that: the use of rudder isnt allowed. Nor is the use of any position on the throttle stick other than idle and full throttle. Every club is obliged to charge a fine and report the member to the governing authorities, so take it seriously. I've removed my rudder and throttle servos years ago... Makes life  simpler, cheaper and you sleep better at night.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Bozarth

David - great ideas. I have my throttle on a two position switch and I mix a little rudder in with my nose wheel steering.
Kurt
Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Use the rudder manually. With experience you'll make a decision as to what you want to do. Personally, I don't mix anything. I think it's more fun to actually have to make the flight control inputs myself! Nothing more fun than crabbing a Cub down the runway rolling one wheel, lifting, crabbing the other way and then rolling the other wheel. Can't do that if you mix stuff!
Why not?? The rudder still works when you mix in a little offset. you guys make it sound like if you have a mix the rudder it will no longer respond to the rudder stick movement,, all it does is adjust the trim position slightly.. The rudder still works.
OK... I will re-phrase it. You may not be able to do stuff like that with the 'mix'. I don't want to mix any fun away as far as my flying is concerned!
well, that's a different meaning when you put it that way, now I see what you were saying

Most only use ail-rud mix to help cure bad tendencies,, not to replace the need to use ever use rudder.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Bozarth was kidding, joking.........attempting to be funny. I thought it was funny."

The everlasting problem with communications by the written word. One cannot see the glint in the eye, the smirk, or the shrug of the shoulders; at least not without smileys:-))))))))

Les
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Rudder- A device built into the back of RC planes to aid in the task of dragging the model back to the pit areas after missing the runway due to poor glide slope and poor kinetic energy management, could also be due to poor throttle modulation. NOT to be confused with full-scale rudders which are commonly used for steering. noun

Just kidding guys, I'm a big fan of using rudder and do it a bunch without knowing it... just wanted to jump in and poke a little general fun at nobody in particular..
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Bottom line: you can learn to program mixes or you can learn to fly. ;-)

Absolutely.

Nothing more; nothing less.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
i want to start using rudder on my turns ,i would like to mix ali to rudder what % should i mix the rudder in at ,i know that when i take off and land i need to shut off the switch ,thanks
This is just my opinion, based upon observation, that most RC pilots don't know how to use rudder, if they do at all. They are commonly referred to ''yank and bank'' flyers. I learned old school techniques on a three channel trainer that had only rudder control. My advice is to seek out an instructor who can teach you all about making coordinated turns.
What is this rudder thing anyway, and how is it used???

Just kidding, I would also just use the rudder manually.

Bob
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
frets24

ORIGINAL: sensei

What is this rudder thing anyway, and how is it used???

I thought it was for using up the last of the extra yellow paint left over from painting the cowl on an ETO BF-109 Messerschmitt!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38 AM
stevegauth30

Gotta admit though, it DOES work pretty good for towing it back to the pitts. That's what I thought it was.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't try and brush of the rudder as a conspiracy theory, it is well know in the esoteric circles the the R is Satans own controll surface. The global Elite worship a giant rudder at bohemian grove every year. Once you start dabbling with the rudder, youre a lost sole. Seriously dangerous stuff. 

Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

youre a lost sole.
I have no idea if this is a play on words when you would ordinarily mean "soul", but I can't help but imagine someone calling someone else a "heel", so this whole post is double funny to me!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 PM
bikerbc

I use mix on my Cubs , I mix in about 15 % rudder with the ailerons to help in the turns . I have this on a switch so that I can turn it off... I often fly with it off so that I can enjoy the sensation of truly flying the plane myself .. Full size pilots use many computerized electronic devices to assist them in flying planes these days.. The old days of stick and rudder are just part of learning to fly.. Now we need to learn how to operate computers and how to set them up so that they can tell our planes what to do...I think we need to relax and try to enjoy the computerized aids offered to us but at the same time we need to learn how to properly fly our planes , .. The only way we can do that is by going back to the stick and rudder ..So I think there is room for both flying with the mix on or off .That's my opinion...
Old 05-05-2013, 02:16 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Rudders are for BOATS!! LOL. There are some applications for this mix but would be rare on power airplanes? If you are using it compensate for adverse yaw then look into aileron differential. FYI I have only used this mix on sailplanes and then only about 5% to 7%, differential was around 50%.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM
ssautter

Yes, 15% is a good start.

But, also, keep-in-mind, that precision aerobatic planes do not experience as much roll-yaw coupling or adverse-yaw characteristics.

So, be prepared to break your own bad habits, when you fly F3A,NSRCA,or IMAC ships. Also,be able to define askid vs. slip in the turns.

Happy flying.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: Johng

Third on the helicopter flying and using the rudder stick separately. My airplane flying improved a ton after learning to hover a heli.
Fourth on the heli flying - a quad in my case. You won't believe how much it helps until you try it. The MQX mini quad at $100 flies outstanding!

Kurt
Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Our chief instructor now insists on mixing rudder from the aileron input on every plane he flies to " make it easier to take off" . I could not disagree more as the previous chief instructor for the club. I prefer to fly the plane and not cause the plane to roll when I want or need it to yaw on take off or landing. He feels that it is a burden to teach a student to use the rudder to steer the plane and his justification is we have automatic transmission so we don't have to use a clutch anymore why even have a rudder control.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Rather than mixing rudder with aileron I was more concerned with axial rolls with my Tiger.  I wound up using two channels for ailerons which allowed me to independently control aileron differential and total movement.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 AM
stevegauth30

why teach a kid to drive on an automatic when if you teach them with a manual trans theres nothing they cant drive. teach em right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.