Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Questions on Hobby Related Topics

What is it that someone in this hobby has to do to get a few questions
    answered about different subjects that others that have come on to this
    forum and shared their assembly or build of a particular model aircraft
    or kit. You send them either an e-mail or PM and they just totally ignore
    the request or in one gentleman's case told me to just re-read his post and
    it would answer my question, which unfortunately it didn't...........So I've been
    in the hobby for most of my life, have owned a hobby shop, done planes, boats,
    & cars, and I have always shared any knowledge of this wonderful hobby with
    both young, in between & old alike. Is it the advent of the ARF that has people
    so stuck up with themselves that they can't or don't want to share information
    or help a fellow modeler on a particular subject that they have built or assembled
    and made mods to make it perform better?

Just to stir the pot more in the last 6 months all of the e-mails and PM's have
    been directed to people living in the state of TEXAS..............

Flame suit on, bring it on................Off the soap box for now.........

Bill D. 66 years young & still learning
    Founder \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\"
    Waco Brotherhood # 43
    P-39 Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Questions on Hobby Related Topics

Bill,
    I'll answer it this way,, I've gotten questions in PMs that some times would entail typing out a novel to answer properly. If you noticed, some guys on these boards like to write,,, if we were speaking, we'd say "like to hear themselves speak",, well I'm not that type. I like to keep thing pithy and to the point. So sometimes I and others I suspect just don't want to type that much.

If the person you reference feels he answered your question already, why go to the trouble of typing it out again just for you to not understand again?? I get that.

Totally ignoring the PM is somewhat rude,, although I've been guilty of ignoring emails, I don't reply to emails generated from these boards unless I know the user well.

Good luck with that whole "mess with Texas" thing
    You're so smart,, you figured out how to read this!! Or maybe ya just got lucky??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some are on the forums to learn, and share what they have learned.

Others are here to show off what they have done, or bought. Sharing knowlge isn't on their agenda.

Scale is right, in that some PM requests involve a reply similar to the bible in length. When this happens to me, I explain the best that I can, and offer to call the person, if more help is required.

What irks me, is how often PMrs ask questions, get answers, and never reply to acknowledge the info.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you think maybe just asking your questions for everyone to share on the thread would garner a much much more attentive response from a thread starter than demanding personal one on one attention? I be willing to bet most thread starters are not a business and not customer service folks!

John

\"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Do you think maybe just asking your questions for everyone to share on the thread would garner a much much more attentive response from a thread starter than demanding personal one on one attention? I be willing to bet most thread starters are not a business and not customer service folks!

John

I frequently answer specific questions from aspects of my build threads. Sometimes people are more than casually interested, and more request detailed information. It's usually detailed stuff, that the PMr want to understand to his satisfaction.

Answering PMs is a personal thing. Some do. Some don't.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some PM requests involve a reply similar to the bible in length. When this happens to me, I explain the best that I can, and offer to call the person,
    I will usually give them my phone number and email address.

FWIW, Scale answers PMs and delivers too.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK Tom well enough Now consider this, perhaps that gentlemans questions who is demanding private attention are also the questions of many readers of the thread. Now these folks may be denied any further benefit.

John

\"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its easier (for me) if people ask specific questions about a project in the project thread. It keeps from getting multiple PM's asking the same question
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

During a build I get a lot of PMs plus a number of emails from people I have known over the years asking about the build. To date I have never not answered that I can recall. Last week I got a PM requesting some photos, I'll do that a lot but the question was just stated, could you take some photos please, I would like to build one????? I did reply asking what it was he wanted photos of and haven't ever heard back. I have also gotten requests to build a particular plane and do a build thread on it. I'm doing one of the requested planes now but haven't ever heard from these people again. They weren't regulars that I knew but the request was part of the reason I decided to build this plane. I BS with a few of the guys from Texas and haven't found them rude so I'm sure it isn't the local. Sometimes just seeing print in black and white can sound rude.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Texas? Heck I like Texas, wait, I like every State in the Union. Texas, or some parts of Texas has year round flying. Very much like our Coast area in the most lied about State in the Union. Perhaps your thinking is a bit flawed. People are people no matter from where they come. Some folks will not or feel like they should not answer certain questions. It is really not complicated. As far as putting on a burn proof suit, well I think we are sometimes overwhelmed with our own importance and the importance of these on line comments. Another thing is the Texas folks may be doing some extra flying and just haven't got back to you. They fly a lot in Texas.