Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BatShare with two receiver batteries - connections

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BatShare with two receiver batteries - connections

Old 06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BatShare with two receiver batteries - connections

When my last receiver battery failed I considered my options. I wanted redundancy and the nose needs plenty of weight to balance at the CG, so my chosen approach is two receiver batteries and a Smart-Fly BatShare.

Here's how the BatShare is wired:

I have one free port on the receiver (B for Battery) so it looks like I have a couple of options:

(1) Plug one BatShare lead into the B port on the receiver and "Y" the other lead with another into a separate port:

(2) "Y" the two BatShare leads together into the B port on the receiver

Unfortunately the Smart-Fly instructions are very vague on this score. Their diagram shows one lead going into the receiver but the product itself has two. I'm leaning towards option 1 for two reasons: First, it provides two separate paths from the battery to the receiver. Second, I figure that if Smart-Fly intended to have the BatShare plug into a single receiver port they would have designed it that way.

Opinions, please!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 PM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BatShare with two receiver batteries - connections

G'day Mate,
You asked for opinions, OK here's mine,
1) Forget the BatShare, just connect straight from the switches to the RX.
If you must use a "Y" lead get a short, heavy duty one.

2) Get an RX with more channels, you didn't mention how many you were using, or how many channels the RX is,
if you had more available channel slots, you can plug your power into a free servo channel.

I'm sure BatShares are wonderful, but to me they are just another set of connections, waiting to fail.

Cheers
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got to agree with Alan. You don't need the BatShare. Simply plug both into different ports on the receiver and you'll be covered on your battery redundancy. The BatShare is just extra money spent that you don't need to spend.

Ken 
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan, Ken, thanks for your input. As it happens I already have the BatShare so I'll be putting it to good use.

Option 1 it is. Sticking with the existing receiver; I'll plug one lead of the BatShare into the free port and will use a Heavy Duty Y-Harness to share the other lead into a separate port.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use batshares and have not had any problems, In cases where I didnt have a extra slot on the reciver I used option #1
Old 06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I use a bat share with no problem. The advantage of the batt share is if there is a problem with 1 battery it will isolate the bad battery from the system.
As far as your options on hooking it up to the receiver they are all 3 electrically the same. Inside the receiver all the reds are wired together and all the blacks are wired together. let me be clear the reds are seperate from the blacks. Anyway no matter which way you choose your hooking the batteries throught the batt share to the reciever in parallel. which keeps voltage the same but increases the current. Don't worry you not going to draw anymore current with 1 battery than you would with 2. But you have longer flying time between chargers
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good reading here http://hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html Scroll down to the the part about dual battery sharing. A bad battery will not drain down the good one in any signficant way and if you are doing a load test each time you go flying you will pick up on the battery going bad before it becomes critical.