Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

All(?) -well, almost- Digital now??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

All(?) -well, almost- Digital now??

Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
W.E. Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All(?) -well, almost- Digital now??

This subject may have been discussed here before, but I'll ask anyway...

I have been informed by another modeler that the recent rage of equipment (read that as 2.4 GHz sets) is almost 100% digital. The only analog parts were the Tx stick pots, from then on it was all digital up to the decoder of the receiver. The rx output would however be the usual analog square pulses. I asked him for more info, since I found this hard to believe. He could not provide any, claiming the various mfg's were using technical terms he could not follow.

Personally, I would be nothing short of amazed if modern 2.4 R/C was almost 100% digital, but then again I'm an old geezer that only prefers old R/C.

If he is correct, that 2.4 sets are now almost digital, would anyone know how the tx signal is modulated? And, how many "bits" would be used for the (typical?) 1.5 ms control pulse? And, has anyone seen any indications whene truly digital servos can be expected? Assuming his claim is correct, truly digital servos would be the enxt step.

Doug
Old 07-06-2013, 07:02 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: All(?) -well, almost- Digital now??

I don't know about digital transmitters, however as for digital servo's, I can tell you they use more power than other servo's and I am not sure they work any better than regular servo's. The up side is that some of them are programmable but for a sport flyer, just stick with the regular one's. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because radio design is now past the home inventor stage, full digital will happen when manufactures can make more profits with it. The information sent with a 2.4 radio is digital as it sends coded packets of information instead of a stream. The receiver's computer has to authenticate and the turn it into the traditional servo pulse. Because the industry is set with the servo pulse because of compatibility, they are probably not ready to obsolete all systems with a new standard that probably will not be a performance upgrade, just a change in technology.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Exactly, in a modern 2.4 radio the stick position is encoded and sent in a packet, which is decoded and sent as an analog signal to the servos, even "digital" servos use an analog pulse to obtain their position, they just center precisely, and develop full torque instantly versus analog servos that don't develop full torque until they almost reach their commanded position. This translates directly to holding power as well.

The actual encoding is proprietary to each manufacturer (unless you're hobby king and you reverse engineer it and sell it on the cheap)