Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Foam core wing repair

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Foam core wing repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam core wing repair

Hi all

I have a ding in a foam cored wing covered with 3/32 balsa, the ding is about 2 inches long 1/2 to 3/4 wide and about 1/2 deep. so if I cut a section of wood out, do I need to fill the foam and with what ? putting in the wood patch is no problem and will cover with a f/s patch befor recovering with plastic

this is my first time arround on this type of wing patch So all help and suggestions are appericated

Cheers Bob T

AMA13377
Old 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Foam core wing repair

Layout a square pattern around the damaged area about 1/2" beyond the damaged foam, cut the balsa on your layout, and carefully remove the balsa from the foam core. Now tailor cut a virgin piece 1/8" thick balsa that fits inside your cutout, use Gorilla glue and brush into the damaged area and the surrounding foam that you removed the balsa from. Lightly spray the area with water and place the 1/8" thick balsa skin over the area, immediately cover with a generous piece of Handy Wrap, place 6 or 8 model magazines on each side of your wing while laying horizontal on a flat surface and gently place anything weighing around 25 pounds directly over the repair area. Allow full cure, remove weight, magazines, and Handy Wrap, spline sand area and recover.

There is another effective way to do this utilizing a vacuum bag and caul plate but you stated that this was your first repair and I am thinking that you may not possess a vacuum pump and all the rest of the garbage needed to perform this simple repair by the means I already explained. Best of luck to you.

Bob
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

A bag of sand works well as a conformable weight on the patch.

If the foam is only slightly damaged over a small area I might not bother but it is quite easy to cut the damaged area out and fit new. Sand back to match add new skin as above sand back and add a small glasscloth and epoxy patch.

I use blue urethane foam rather than polystyrene foam as it sands cleanly rather than tearing.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:33 PM
rt3232

Thanks for the quick responce

What I forgot to tell you was the core is the white closed cell type, and sence the original post I did cut out a 2 1/4 by 2 inch piece of the sheeting, the depthof damage in the foam now does not look as bad as first thought. I like the Gorlili glue idea as I have usd it befor but never with the foam , So does the glue take the place in the damage foam ? if so then that is a plan.

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
sensei

Yes it does, no need to repair the foam at all, the GG will take care of it.

Bob
Old 07-12-2013, 12:05 PM
rt3232

Hi sensie

Well got the patch done as discribed and I have to say it was alot easeyer than expecter. Will now lay ou a piece of .5 cloth and apory with about 1 inch over lap and I think it will be ready to recover.

Thanks for your help and suggestion

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM
rt3232

Will try to post a pic of the patch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56742.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1899855  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:15 AM
sensei

I am very happy it all worked out for you.

Bob