Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ARF BUILDING

Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM
p3arljam
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ARF BUILDING

I heard when you are building an ARF its always good to strengthen the joints. What should i use for this (specific brands) any links would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
jetmech05

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ARF BUILDING

thin CA will work good
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
hookedonrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried to post this, but it would not take...trying again. I usually reinforce the engine firewall with triangle stock wherever necessary. Add reinforcement to landing gear mounting area. Add a Sullivan tail wheel when th stock one puts stress on the rudder. Also reinforce the bulkhead where the wing mounts by doubling it and change out soft wood mounting dowels with oak ones.

And on large planes I swap out CA hinges for dubro pinned ones.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM
airbusdrvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

thin CA will work good
I use 6 or 30 min epoxy for firewall, landing gear and wing bolt plate. Also triangle stock or similar if there is room.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 AM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL
Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 AM
perreback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sensei

LOL
Why?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 AM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why???

Simply because there is another forum that I spent months documenting the purchase of a new in box 35% H9 Extra 260, I completely went through the airframe by stripping the new covering off repairing, re-gluing, and lightening. Finally this thread is followed up with full flight video at completion of the project. I was going to share the link because there is a great deal of information about going through an ARF and updating but as I have stated in this forum before, management thinks that there is a good reason to disallow information sharing from one site to another, so they don't allow certain forum names to be used keeping us from sharing a link to other threads that may benefit some. That's why...

Bob
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just take med CA and go over what joints I can get too. The landing gear block is weak and many, many , many ARF's but is often hard to get too.

Just be careful about adding weight. I have seen guys add some tri stock here, epoxy there, a touch of plywood on this and that and pretty soon the plane is 16oz heavier. A lot of RC planes see 10-15 G's several times on each flight. 16oz @ 10Gs is 160oz. So while you think you are helping the airframe there are times you are hurting it. Not just performance wise but pretty soon the plane needs reinforced because your reinforcements added too much weight.

david