Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting Insignia on Monokote vs Decals

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting Insignia on Monokote vs Decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Insignia on Monokote vs Decals

I have a 50cc sized gas powered Warbird ARF covered with Flat Monokote, that will need Insignia, such as Roundels, Numbers, etc; Decals are easily available, but I am interested in possible using Paint Masks to accomplish this; any problems doing this on Monokote, will the paint crack with the shrinking and expanding of the Monokote with the changes in temperatures, I have Airbrushed on other planes, weathering, exhaust trails, etc in small amounts on Monokote with no ill effects; not sure about larger painted areas, such would be the case with 3 - 4 Inch Diameter Roundels, etc.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:03 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might crack, depends on the paint. I can tell you for sure that rustoleum doesnt. I've painted ultracoat that turned out ok. Cant attach a picture, you'll just have to trust me on that. I live in central Texas also. When the covering wrinkles, I could reshrink by putting a white T-shirt over the wrinkle and moving the iron over the material, DONT move the material over the painted area, leave it fixed. It shrinks right up with no cracks. I wouldnt try it with a hot air gun though, I'm sure that would cause cracks. Dont paint an area that will rub like the cowl to fuse seam, the paint will rub off. In that case, I used ultracoat red around that seam about an inch and a half back then sprayed rustoleum red for the rest of the forward section on a P-51, was a pretty good match at 10'. Worked great.
Edwin
I fly out of ARCA, where do you fly?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edwin;

I belong to the Temple Club, been to your field many times, plan on going there next Saturday for your National Model Aviation Day Event, you wouldn't happen to know who the CD is?

Doug
Old 08-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug Nelle is the CD I think. We are setting up some sims and doing buddy box demo flights for spectator for a donation. I'll be one of the buddy box instructors. Come on down.
Edwin