Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

roto fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up roto fuel tank

Ive heard that the Roto Fuel tank eats up the o- rings when using it for gas,,,,,,Im about to install one in my glow plane,,is it reasonable to use it for my glow app.,,,or will I encounter the same problem. Just checking before I use it......dont want any problems,,,just trying to avoid one

Thx-TAZZZZ
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of min has had one in a 35% extras for a few months with no issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a 14oz rotoflow tank behind a fa82 saito glow engine.Top quality fuel tank and no problems.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They are heavy and expensive, I don't see a single good point for using them.

Bob
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one in a 33% Extra 330L, it works great, no issues. I do not see a problem working with a glow engine either.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Originally Posted by sensei
They are heavy and expensive, I don't see a single good point for using them.

Bob
They cost more because they solve a problem that never existed.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 AM
sensei

Originally Posted by smithcreek
They cost more because they solve a problem that never existed.
Exactly... Oh I almost forgot, some of the 3D guys have bent the long pickup tube in flight, with that said, the fuel pick tube binds and stops rotating if that is important to you. This is pretty well documented on other sights.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-18-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Rudolph Hart

Tazz as you'll notice some people don't feel the need to try things before bashing them,otherwise they might have started with"mine did this or that"
I've no link to rotoflow but i do own a couple.There is NO "fuel pick slide" to quote bob.Have a look at one,i like them because they are extremely well engineered.

ps i would feel very sorry for anyone who bent one of these tanks,they would be up for a new aeroplane
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM
smithcreek

Here is a list straight from the roto-fuel site of "problems" their tank solves:
-Clunks stick in forward position
-Leaking internal and external connections
-Stiffening of the clunk hose
-Hoses falling off sharp-ended copper tubes
-Stoppers degrading and leaking fuel into the interior of the airplane
-Worst of all - air bubbles in the fuel lines caused by clunk agitation as it impacts the inner tank wall

I've never had any of these problems, not once. Not even the clunk stuck forward, whether I set the tank up with a piece of straight copper tube or just fuel line going to the clunk. I think if you set up your tank well these are not problems you will run into.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 AM
KW_Counter

I have had a problem with a clunk sticking forward and I've had a problem with leaking.
If people want to try someones attempt at a solution - go for it.
You'll never know unless you try it. Let us know how it works out.
I rarely pay any attention to anyone's advice on an item they've never used before.
They simply aren't qualified to give the advice.
An opinion, yes; advice, no.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
sensei

I am with Smithcreek, I don't have those problems listed on their site, but then again I maintain my stuff, I am not one of those guys that shows up at the field loaded with grimlin issues every time I go flying. Concerning the Roto Fuel Tanks, the facts, are they are heavy compared to a soda pop fuel tank at less then 1.5 ozs. complete, they are expensive compared to a tank you can buy or build for less then 8 or 10 bucks, and they have a sliding part, when the shaft gets bent, the slide stops or binds at the bend so I have been told by far more qualified persons than you that are pushing this junk. You call it well engineered, truth is it's over engineered, I don't see it being used in commercial aviation or the experimental aviation category either. Stick to the KISS principal, and perform your maintenance as it should be done at home prior to heading to the field and these issues will be a thing of the past. Forget about all those gadgets on the market, so once again keep it simple stupid... (KISS)

Bob
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
smithcreek

Originally Posted by KW_Counter
I rarely pay any attention to anyone's advice on an item they've never used before.
They simply aren't qualified to give the advice.
An opinion, yes; advice, no.
I never said anything good or bad about rotoflow tanks. I gave advice on standard tanks and that advice is set them up properly and you will never have the issues that rotoflow claims to cure, other that the possible clunk stuck forward. I've used Dubro, Sullivan and even gone crazy and spent big bucks on Tetra (almost double the price of a standard tank but still half the cost of a rotoflow) for a couple YS engines. If people want to use rotoflow, go for it, it's not my money.

Bob, I did get a chuckle out of your "gremlin issues" reference. As soon as I read it I pictured the worst offender at my field who shows up without his radio programmed, without servos set up, control surfaces and throttle operating in the reverse direction, and all he can think about is "how soon can I take off" regardless of the issues. I've watched him take 15-20 trips from the starting bench to the taxiway trying to get the plane to the runway before the engine dies instead of taking a few minutes to adjust it or figure out why it's not running. Who knows, maybe his clunk was stuck!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Originally Posted by sensei
I am with Smithcreek, I don't have those problems listed on their site, but then again I maintain my stuff, I am not one of those guys that shows up at the field loaded with grimlin issues every time I go flying. Concerning the Roto Fuel Tanks, the facts, are they are heavy compared to a soda pop fuel tank at less then 1.5 ozs. complete, they are expensive compared to a tank you can buy or build for less then 8 or 10 bucks, and they have a sliding part, when the shaft gets bent, the slide stops or binds at the bend so I have been told by far more qualified persons than you that are pushing this junk. You call it well engineered, truth is it's over engineered, I don't see it being used in commercial aviation or the experimental aviation category either. Stick to the KISS principal, and perform your maintenance as it should be done at home prior to heading to the field and these issues will be a thing of the past. Forget about all those gadgets on the market, so once again keep it simple stupid... (KISS)

Bob
The sky is going to fall!! I have to agree with both Bob and Smitty on this one completely. I did have the clunk stick forward once but it was after a crash. On the other side of the coin if someone thinks they will have a problem with any of the cheaper tanks on the market then by all means, give it a try. Other then the cost and lack of curing anything I see no reason not to buy one. To date I have never seen one in use at any of the fields I fly at. As for curing foaming of the fuel?? I haven't seen that problem sense they started putting anti-foaming agents in the fuel some years ago. If we still had the problem I'm sure this tank would help cure it though.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Rudolph Hart

Gene over the years i've always enjoyed reading your posts.I learnt a lot that way and at times you have used humour to make a good point,so for the first time i have to disagree.I refer you,bob,and smithy to the original post.Tazz already has one...
Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 PM
sensei

As you can see in my gallery, I do have a great deal of experience with these things, I am highly detailed with my builds and I put thousands of $$$ into each one, so I do not like gadgets, to me they are just another weak link to disaster in the waiting.

Bob
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

It's OK to disagree, it's one of the things the forums are good for. Bob and I have gone around over the weight issue many times. You can see he mentioned the extra weight but he also makes up his own tanks out of light weight soda bottles to shave off grams. My only problem with the roto is the price for something I have never seen a problem with. Just sort of one of those if it aint broke don't fix it things. I use the standard old big three tank types and have never had a problem and they only cost about 5 bucks. If John chimes in he will bring up the Hayes tanks. I use them and Dubro all the time and have a Sullivan in the Swoose. I have even done like Bob and made them from soda bottles. If people worry about there fuel tanks and have fat pockets then by all means try a Roto. I just see no reason for the price to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Whatever works.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM
countilaw

I admire the ingenuity of the design. It appears a lot of hard work and engineering went into their design. But, I just can't justify changing from something that has always worked well for me to something more expensive. I've never had a clunk stick forward with just normal aerobatic maneuvers. I must admit, I have had one stick when my plane ran off the end of the runway and flipped over. However a good sharp jerk, sent the clunk back to it's original position.

There may a good use for them somewhere, just not with me.

Frank
Old 09-08-2013, 03:24 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

I've never had any of the problems that the Roto fuel tank is supposed to solve. Attention to detail and maintenance is the key. Do it once, do it right and a standard tank works fine.

On my injected YS's i use the Tettra bladder tank. I never get any air bubbles with these.

I looked at the Roto tanks when they first come out, but decided that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Some people buy ARF's because they haven't the skills to build from a kit or scratch. Obviously some can't assemble a fuel tank, so this will suit them fine. I suppose they are the ARF's of fuel tanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotos are great tanks. Installing them in all my scale planes so I don't have to dig the tanks out annually for hose changes. I don't fly aerobatic stuff so the weight issue is of little consequence. I have five of them in use. I have had the necks of 2 other tanks split after several years of use. I like the design of the Roto.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

IMHO, RotoFlow tanks FIX a problem that has existed for too long... No matter what type of gas line you use in a conventional tank, IT WILL get STIFF. And when it does, you will not know it until the engine quits unexpectedly.
When flying a $5000 airplane, I don't mind spending $30-$40 more for a gas tank I no longer have to worry about.
I use RotoFlow exclusively in my gas planes, but have not yet tried one with glow fuel.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:25 PM
JR Davis
My Feedback: (106)

I have 2 of them in use using gas for over 2 years and have experienced no problems at all.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 AM
sensei

So it appears from what is being stated so far by the pro Roto crowd is that the Roto fuel tank is for those that do not like maintaining their equipment, or maybe can't properly build and setup a fuel tank in the first place, don't really care about the weight and performance of their airplanes so much, and have expendable incomes allowing them spend a fortune on things that are just not broken. Somebody stated that the fuel lines will get stiff after a season or two of operation and cause an unexpected engine running failure. Power plant and systems failures are caused, they just don't happen, as I already stated this kind of stuff I see happening to those that don't take care of business before heading to the field in the first place. Just so you know, on gassers the lines get stiff outside of the tank and need to be replaced periodically as well... It is called maintenance. By the way, this is just one of many tanks I have built and installed over the years, this one I built, and installed, in late 2005 for about 6 bucks, weighing less than 1.5 ozs. and is still in operation today. Note that I can easily see if there any issues going on during both pre and post flight inspections allowing me to maintain my equipment.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33302.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1918261  

Last edited by sensei; 09-23-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built many a tank. Read my original question regarding the o ring I don't need anything further from the peanut gallery!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Rudolph Hart

Jeez bob,if i did my pre flight checks as well as you do the handbrake and me would still be married,alas,i'm a lazy so and so with the ability to enjoy it
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Guys, don't get your fuel lines in such a bind. They are just fuel tanks.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.