Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lustre Kote on Neutral Solartex

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lustre Kote on Neutral Solartex

Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lustre Kote on Neutral Solartex

I am finishing a Sig 1/5 scale cub and about to cover and paint the model. I am currently planning to cover the plane with "natural" Solartex and painting the covering, cowl, landing gear and wing struts all in "cub yellow". As for the paint, has anyone painted an entire air frame with Top-Flite Lustre Kote? If so, what were the results? If not, do you think this will provide a nice finish? I considered using the pre-painted Solartex, but I would still require matching paint for the cowl and other parts. I don't want to get into finishes that require a compressor and a spray gun.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveB
Old 09-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I covered a Bravo with tex then painted right over it with LK. The finished plane looked like it was covered with silk. It didn't require any primer and the LK worked great on the covering. Where I ran into problems is the usual we have with LK, it tends to run when covering cowls or wheel pants even when primer is used. The trick with it is very fine coats then when finished let it set up for about 10 days so it is completely dry then it is very fuel proof.
Cub Yellow was a problem on my last cub build. It's just a color that has been with us forever yet every paint manufacture can't seem to get it right. I went through three different batch numbers of the LK and every one was a different shade of orange? Phoned LK and all they said was it was different from batch to batch, SORRY. It's a good idea you have so everything matches even if the color is off. Hold back a can for touch up in the future. Last year I had a hell of a time finding a true match to the TEX cub yellow covering. I borrowed everyones cub yellow until someone had the match. Can't recall the manufacture but I can out for you if you need it.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:15 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like GB, I don't use primer on Solartex, at least on open surfaces.

I painted an entire airframe with Lustrkote. The finish was satisfactory.

If you have access to spray equipment, Nelson Hobbies and Klass Kote are better options.

I agree with your logic, on the covering. I, too, use the Solartex natural. Matching paint to the colored product is a difficult task.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:59 AM
DaveB

Thanks for the prompt and very helpful replies. The limitations of my work area would make the compressor and spray gun option more difficult than rattle cans, so I think the Lustre Kote is a better choice for me. I'm guessing 6 cans should be enough to do the job, but the point made about batch colors is a good one and I will make sure the paint is from the same batch. I may buy a case (of 12) if that will ensure the same batch.

Thanks again for your comments.

DaveB
Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom is a much better painter then I am but I have used the Klass Kote often and really like the stuff. The real problem with it is the cost. Nelsons isn't any cheaper but easier to clean up. I use a small single tank compressor and buy the $14.00 HVLP spray guns from Harbor freight . Last time I bought the 4 ounce gun and it worked out perfectly. I'm OK with one color painting but my masking work leaves a lot to be desired. The KK doesn't run like a lot of paints and being a two part epoxy it is bullet proof. The KK Cub yellow is a true Cub yellow. The last LK Cub yellow wasn't even in the same zip code of what Cub yellow is supposed to look like. Hope they have there mixing problems corrected. Over Tex covering almost any paint is easy, the weave keeps it from running. FYI, if you are using a gas engine instead of glow then the best paint I have used is just outdoor latex house paint you can buy at any big lot hardware and they can match most colors you want. Water clean up is just way too easy. Then of course you need a spray gun and compressor.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:14 AM
Rodney

I've usedKlassKote and brushed it on. Brush coats seem to flow out nicely, none visible after curing. My favorite paint for large models.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 AM
DaveB

I'm having second thoughts about using Lustre Kote on the cub because I am concerned the paint will deform the butyrate windshield which is partially painted to simulate the cabin blocks. If I were to choose Nelson's or Klass Kote, how much paint would be required to paint?

Thanks for your inputs.

DaveB
Old 09-22-2013, 04:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I did a Cub in Cub yellow Solartex this year and used LK for the cowl and did a once over on the covering to make it match, then used LK clear to seal everything. Two things I'll give you about it- first, LK Cub yellow is little more than a tinted clear coat. It will not make the Solartex opaque without using primer. The sun shines right through mine even after top coating it with LK. So if you want it to look like a real Cub and not have the bones of the airframe showing on the shady side, go a different route. Second, LK is mostly reducer, so you'll use a lot of it. Your 6 can estimate will likely be enough to get color on the airframe, but it won't be enough to fill the weave like a real Cub is supposed to be. 10 cans is probably a better estimate to get a decent sheen on the fabric, with maybe 6 cans of color and 4 cans of clear. IMO, you'll be better off (if using a spray gun simply isn't an option) to brush on KK or Nelson (which is actually Systems Three water based polyurethane) or even butyrate dope. All of those will cover better than the LK and probably won't cost any more money when it's all done.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm having second thoughts about using Lustre Kote on the cub because I am concerned the paint will deform the butyrate windshield which is partially painted to simulate the cabin blocks. If I were to choose Nelson's or Klass Kote, how much paint would be required to paint?

Thanks for your inputs.

DaveB
Lustrekote will be fine, if you apply light coats. As Jester says, you may want to use primer. Apply light coats, with it, too.