Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

to lipo or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb to lipo or not

what to get out of useing lipos...whats better and what do i need to change.........want to use for power on motors.not radios............mostly run 3s2200 to 4s 3500......................thanks for any help
Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Lipos are pretty much standard these days because they give you the best power to weight ratio. That's what you get out of them. You'll need the right charger though unless you want to ruin them or set the house on fire.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM
skeeter_ca

Was wondering myself if LiFe's are a good choice to power the motors on planes or are lipos better?

skeeter
Old 10-05-2013, 06:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A123 LiFe's are good, better in the amount of current they can give you, but the voltage is lower so you have to go to a higher Kv on your motor. The better Lipos can match A123 batteries for performance, and since nearly all of the recommendations you'll see are based on using lipos, that become the standard. Standard LiFe batteries however can't deliver the current that Lipos can so they would be a poor choice.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 AM
jetmech05

All batteries discharge differently a lead acid is terrible losses lots of volts at the beginning then tapers off until discharged to 0. Now a lipo doesn't loose much voltage at the beginning holds a pretty good voltage until its discharged and rapidly goes to 0. That's why you need a loaded volt meter and a voltage cut off point in your head.
as an example I use LiIon batts they're discharged at 7.1 volts with a 1 amp load.
the advantage to these batts is longer times between charges, but charging takes longer up to 3 hrs.
You do need a good batt charger that is capable of doing lipos
Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a couple of A123's on a brushed .05 motor in an Amptique It worked much better than the 6 Nicads which barely got it going up, and it fell quickly. They can be charged in about a half hour or maybe less, and are safer than LiPo's. It took a lot more room than LiPo's and is heavier, but does work. A brushless motor would be better, as would be LiPo's.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Stick 40

I use the A123's for onboard battery's in my planes and use them in the RC cars for the grand kids. I guess you could use them in planes, they give out a lot of power. The rc cars realy scream.
I you set up a plane on more A123's , it might work. I may try that on my 4 cell telemaster one on these days.

The lipo's are good, but we must treat them as they need to be treated. I was making a mistake once in awhile and putting charged lipo's back on charge. I guess that's a big mistake and plane to check them before charge. I also don't charge them fast, I stay at 1C, as I charge the day before.
good luck, but its hard to beat Lipo's.

sticks