Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Momentary loss of control

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Momentary loss of control

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM
bob8619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momentary loss of control

Spektrum Dx7s and AR8000 receiver. I will notice a short lived loss of control and then when I land the red light is blinking, not a fast flashing but maybe 1 second on, 2 seconds off or so... The manual troubleshooting says "Receiver slowly blinking at landing" but it does not specify what color light so I don't know if thats what they're talking about or not. Anyone know ?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

What voltage RX battery are you using?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM
bob8619

6 volt. Its a JR 5 cell NiMh
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM
speedracerntrixie

A picture of your install may help
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
bob8619

I had my fuel tank burst so I have everything out of the plane right now. I did notice however that my secondary receiver (the part with two antennas on it) was not mounted where the manual for the plane shows it to be mounted. I thought I had it in the right spot but guess not.
Where I had it was 1 or 2 inches away from the intended spot, not sure if that can even make a difference or not though.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

Usually location is only important on airplanes that are using large amounts of current. You wouldn't want a satellite RX next to some wires that are pulling 3 amps or next to an ignition module. For sport airplanes you would not want it near metal control rods or metal rudder cables. I like to keep the antennas horizontal as to expose them to as much signal pattern as possible. The extensions for the satellites are notorious for connector issues. Check the connectors carefully, I would take new ones and add a little Goop around the connector where the wire intersects. if you don't have one already, get a battery checker that will load the battery. Horizon has them pretty cheap and i know mine has saved at least one airplane.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM
bob8619

I have one that tests the remaining voltage with a 300mAh load. It happened today and it was still between 90-100%
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Isn't the red light the "hold" indicator? If that's right, the blinks indicate the number of times the receiver lost the signal during your flight. A move within the plane should fix it if that's the issue.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by bob8619
Spektrum Dx7s and AR8000 receiver. I will notice a short lived loss of control and then when I land the red light is blinking, not a fast flashing but maybe 1 second on, 2 seconds off or so... The manual troubleshooting says "Receiver slowly blinking at landing" but it does not specify what color light so I don't know if thats what they're talking about or not. Anyone know ?
Jester_s1 is right. The flashing red light indicates the receiver has lost contact with the Transmitter - but not from a brown out.

Watch my videos and you will see why the red light comes on.. the number of times it flashes demonstrates how many times it has lost contact with the TX.

I have personally never had it happen while flying, might be worth checking your RX / Satellite positioning and doing a full range check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tbes9f1_c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-EiOGBb9c

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-17-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Prboz

Hmmm I don't use my DX7 any more. I lost 2 planes and almost a third. 3 different receivers and battery packs. Think my Transmitter has an intermittent fault. Bound with another DX7 with my trainer after Imanaged to get it to the ground and didn't have any issues after that.

My 2c worth
Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I had a momentary loss of control once responding to a thread here on RCU
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Prboz
Hmmm I don't use my DX7 any more. I lost 2 planes and almost a third. 3 different receivers and battery packs. Think my Transmitter has an intermittent fault. Bound with another DX7 with my trainer after Imanaged to get it to the ground and didn't have any issues after that.

My 2c worth
the DX7 was notorious for this sort of issue, however the OP is using a DX7S, different animal entirely.
IMHO Jester_s1 and Rob2160 hit the nail on the head... Check both the receiver and satellite position / antenna including the connector to the satellite.
EDIT: additionally, check the connections between the battery and receiver including the switch for anything loose / intermittent.

Last edited by AMA 74894; 10-17-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added text
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Red LED Hold Indicator
The AR8000 features a red LED that indicates the number of holds that have occurred since
the receiver was last powered on. The LED will flash the number of holds then pause (e.g.,
flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, pause indicates three holds occurred since the
receiver was last turned on). Note that holds are reset to zero when the receiver is turned off.
During the first flights of a new airplane, it’s recommended to check the red LED hold indicator.
If it’s flashing, it’s important to optimize the installation (move or reposition antennas) until no
hold occurs. On later flights, the LED Hold Indicator can be used to confirm RF link performance.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf

CHECK YOU RECEIVER INSTALATION IN THE PLANE. Also look over your transmitter antenna. The signal was not being received. Not a battery issue. I recommend getting longer wires for your satellite receiver- the 3-4 inch wire it comes with is not long enough to get you good separation. Hobby king sells them for about 2 for a 36" extension. Try to get your satellite at least a foot away from the receiver. and clear of metal or wires.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
Red LED Hold Indicator
The AR8000 features a red LED that indicates the number of holds that have occurred since
the receiver was last powered on. The LED will flash the number of holds then pause (e.g.,
flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, pause indicates three holds occurred since the
receiver was last turned on). Note that holds are reset to zero when the receiver is turned off.
During the first flights of a new airplane, it’s recommended to check the red LED hold indicator.
If it’s flashing, it’s important to optimize the installation (move or reposition antennas) until no
hold occurs. On later flights, the LED Hold Indicator can be used to confirm RF link performance.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf

CHECK YOU RECEIVER INSTALATION IN THE PLANE. Also look over your transmitter antenna. The signal was not being received. Not a battery issue. I recommend getting longer wires for your satellite receiver- the 3-4 inch wire it comes with is not long enough to get you good separation. Hobby king sells them for about 2 for a 36" extension. Try to get your satellite at least a foot away from the receiver. and clear of metal or wires.

+1 my mistake in my earlier post... the symtoms described would NOT be caused by an intermittent battery connection.