Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Problem with Top Flite Giant Scale P51 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Problem with Top Flite Giant Scale P51 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you dont like the p51 from tf after reading bad things about it just dont buy it
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM
georgee6995

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys........take apart the f4u corsair giant scale from top flight the wing web in mine was wrong and some of the web was missing...............i wonder if my kit was built on a monday when everyone was hung over, or a friday when they were in a hurry to go home.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Here is a thread with the mods , and it even has the address of the original thread here in RCU :
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=75885

And here is the original

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...mishap-51.html
Michel

Last edited by Michel; 10-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well Sorry for the delay,, but my Sciatica has been acting up the last week,, anyway,got into the rafters and looked at the wing, can't really tell more than the ARF because it's full sheeted, but yes, the balsa shear webbing has the grain going the wrong way. This kit is about 4 years old if that matters,

But from what I can tell it's not really webbing but a long jig alignment piece that also acts as sheer, That is the ribs jig into it during assembly. the reason I say that is they look to tight at the glue joint to be individual pieces. Now the wing joiner pocket area does look to have light ply shear webbing. Wing seems to look plenty strong to me

Anyway,, good luck
Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its lite ply , its not a suprise at all
Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone noticed if your mustang was pitch sensitive ? i flew mine for the first flight last night and one.. i had to one ,add down elevator trim and two, it was pitch sensitive even at slower speeds. other than that it flew great. i triple checked the CG and i'm right on with a very slight nose down balance while inverted and gear down. i was on low rate settings the whole time while flying. it seemed floaty on landing but not any problems doing it. WB_1
Old 07-10-2015, 12:57 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are tail heavy. If I'm not mistaken, the P-51 gear swings forward somewhat as it deploys. This means you need to do your CG balancing with the gear up. If you balance with the gear down, and then retract the gear after take off, you are shifting the CG rearward. And, as most folks here will tell you, the plans CG is just a starting point. You need to adjust it based on initial flight performance.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 AM
warbird_1

I have balanced it up the gear up and down with no change. according to the manual , it's a tad nose heavy. I think the expo is the way to go WB_1
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 AM
warbird_1

i'm also using a JR 28x with really high resolution which I was told could make it feel touchy.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Vertical shear webs for sure and both sides 2/3 rd's the way out, one side is good for the ends. Strength is lost in twisting if the shear webs are not glued to the ribs sides, the whole structure is the spine of the wing. Once the skin is installed it locks every thing in place and to twist it something is going to have to split. Air forces are not going to damage this wing when built right Top FLIGHT P-51 1/5 scale kit show how to build this wing right. I have heard where some RTC and ARTF planes have had wing failure because shear webs installed with the grain running with the spar stringers.

Mine is not coming apart anywhere..

LG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2109091  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:38 AM
WhiteRook

dont get me going on this subject, with no disrespect intended, light ply is composite garbage and i would NEVER use it
for most vital parts of an aircraft. the main wing spar on this plane is birch ply i would hope ?
Old 07-19-2015, 05:42 AM
WhiteRook

no glue on the webs , thats why some build their own planes.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by ibytimmy
Has anyone had an issue with the wing in a TF GS P51 twisting? A few weeks ago I noticed, while flying, the aircraft starting to behave erratically. I got the aircraft on the ground, and during inspection was able to grab ahold of the wingtip and EASILY twist the being. After i got home, I cut the bottom sheeting off the wing and discovered ALL of the shear webbing was CRACKED. What was odd (to me) was that the webbing was installed with the grain running parallel to the main spars. I have NEVER seen this before, and to my knowledge the webbing should not be installed this way. I was told by TF that they did this on purpose. Anyone care to comment? Anyone have issues like this? Anyone out there that has a TF GS P51 that can verify the direction of the grain on your webbing??????

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

~Carl
you need to contact top flight and have a replacement wing sent to you. the shear-webs are installed wrong and i give you credit for having a good eye and catching that. i would not trust that wing even if you fixed it as the other side could be wrong too. mine flies great with no issues WB_!