Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nelson (South Hertz) Intelligent Glow Driver Users

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nelson (South Hertz) Intelligent Glow Driver Users

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:04 AM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson (South Hertz) Intelligent Glow Driver Users

If you have used one of these glow drivers, did you find the on-board battery a reliable way to start the engine, or did you use and external battery when starting?

If I understand the instructions, once you have "set up" the unit (meaning, adjusted the potentiometers to turn on near low idle), the plug(s) will only be driven when the plug element is "cool enough" and the unit senses this.

I have been doing some checking on glow plugs with the recording feature on my Fluke meter; Surge current is 3.5 amps, but it quickly, I mean in less than two seconds, drops to a steady 2.7 amps. So the glow element warms up (plug resistance drops) very quickly.

I wonder then: Will the unit shut off power to the plugs sooner than we might prefer during engine warm up? Or, if the engine is warm, say, having stopped running and therefore needing to be restarted, will the unit not turn on power to the plugs until the plugs cool?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run one plane with a on board glow, when it is set right it glows when thottle is at it's lowest point