Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

hinges

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hinges

Going to recover my wing and is it necessary to install new aileron hinges or leave alone and place the wing material just forward of the slot where the ailerons hook up . Ailerons do not need recovering so I was thinking on leaving them there and just do the wing and not have to cut the hinge and reinstall. Don't know if I could get the slot clear of old material. gphil
Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done it both ways. One thing to watch for if you leave the existing hinges in is the heat from the covering iron softening the epoxy that holds the hinges in (if you are using pinned hinges). Just don't leave a hot iron near the hinges too long. Never tried it with CyA hinges.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It's much easier to just cut away the Ca hinges when you want to recover the wing.
It's difficult to fasten the plastic film to the trailing edge of the wing when the ailerons are there.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 AM
gphil

Thanks for all the info and yup have decided to just go to bare bones take off the ailerons and do a good job. It will be my first time covering and everyone needs the experience .Trying to take shortcuts is not an option. yes hate to install the Ca hinges but that is part of this hobby too. Once more, thanks for all the input. gphil
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you haven't already removed the ailerons yet, you can just cut slots in your trailing edge covering and push it through. Assuming your have enough aileron travel to be able to get the iron in there, no one will ever be able to tell the difference between that and having taken them off and rehinged. If you have taken them off already, don't try to re-install new CA hinges in the same slots the old ones were in. The strength of the hinges comes from the CA soaking into the wood, and anything that's been glued before with CA is sealed off from any more soaking in. You'll have to move to new wood to install new CA hinges, or either switch to a pinned type hinge and spend ridiculous amounts of time digging that old CA hinge out if moving them is not an option.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:11 AM
gphil

Sorry to say , the ailerons have gone under the knife thirty minutes ago. lol Not enough room anyway but sure appreciate the advise. The information given on this forum is priceless. People of this hobby are so ready to help and new people like me really benefit form all. Thanks. gphil
Old 11-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Over in the Kit building forum I started a thread, covering a new plane with chinakote, I showed how I cover with one piece of covering over control surfaces with the ailerons mounted. Too late now but in the future?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gphil
Sorry to say , the ailerons have gone under the knife thirty minutes ago. gphil
Don,t be in a hurry to say that, You will find you can do consistently better looking work by covering with the controls surfaces off. This is especially so if its your first time covering as you noted. Rehanging the controls is not that big a deal anyway.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-06-2013 at 04:15 AM.