Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Micafilm Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Micafilm Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micafilm Questions

Hi all,
Over the last 57 years I have covered and finished (mostly sport) planes with everything imaginable EXCEPT the two rolls of Coverite Micafilm that I have had for a while. Any suggestions about:
1. What size(s) of planes are suitable for it?
2. What kinds of finish (paint) is easiest and long-lasting?
3. How tough is this stuff?
4. Anything else I should know, including the fact that someone just cannot live without these rolls!
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old 11-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Iron Bottom

That stuff is really tough and light. Almost impossible to tear and hard to cut. It's tough enough for any size model. Back in the day flyers told tales of having a Micafilm bag of balsa scraps after a crash.

Very important: it doesn't shrink a lot, so pull it tight as you can while covering.

Colors were available, so I didn't paint any of it.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 AM
SRQFlyer

Originally Posted by Iron Bottom
That stuff is really tough and light. Almost impossible to tear and hard to cut. It's tough enough for any size model. Back in the day flyers told tales of having a Micafilm bag of balsa scraps after a crash.

Very important: it doesn't shrink a lot, so pull it tight as you can while covering.

Colors were available, so I didn't paint any of it.
Thanks for the info. My rolls are unpainted, so I guess I'll just experiment some.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

SRQ,
Please note that Micfilm does NOT have any adhesive applied to it, like most other film coverings. You need to apply a Coverite product to all the underlying structure that you want to have the Micafilm adhere to. There are 2 versions of Coverite-1 for film and the other for fabric type covering. I have both types and each states that it is "Not for Micafilm". However, I used the fabric formula and the Micafilm adhered just fine. Also, note that Micafilm does not shrink like most coverings and you have to pretty much get it tight during application. It's great stuff, light and super strong but takes some getting used to. I used it on sailplanes and E-pylon racers. Good luck.
Rgds,
Art ARRO
Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 PM
SRQFlyer

Art ARRO,
Thank you. I have both types of Coverite adhesive on hand, so I should be good to go. I'll experiment with the fabric type, as you suggest.
Thanks again,
Jim