Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

One radio- multiple aricraft

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

One radio- multiple aricraft

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One radio- multiple aricraft

I have a FUTUBA 6EX Radio, 2.4 GHz, FASST. I'm using it for one airplane but would like to get another plane and use this same radio. How does one do that? Do I just buy a compatable RX and RX battery, then link the new RX to the radio? I'm new to these new radios. The 6EX is my first non 72 radio. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:42 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

yes, you bind the new RX to your TX
Old 11-30-2013, 02:35 PM
TPL33

So, you can have 2 identical RX's using the same radio? I'm guessing the Radio knows the difference when you set it up with the RX and place it under a different model/differently named model? I'm new at these new radios. I do know that when I turn my radio on, displayed on the screen is " MDL 1". So when I link up the other RX it will be or show "MDL 2"? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The radio will control any receiver that is bound to it. So if you were to turn on 5 different planes and your transmitter, your control inputs would go to every plane. So you just leave the ones turned off that you aren't flying. The value of the programming is that you can set up your control throws, reversing, trims, exponential, etc, for each plane individually. So you rename those models in the memory so that you select the right one for the plane you want to fly.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TPL33
So, you can have 2 identical RX's using the same radio?

I do know that when I turn my radio on, displayed on the screen is " MDL 1". So when I link up the other RX it will be or show "MDL 2"? Thanks.

Yes you can have two rx's linked to the same radio. Actually with the 6EX you can have up to six Rx's linked to you transmitter. You have model memory for six aircraft.

You need change to model 2 (Or any up to six) on the model memory screen before you link the second Rx to the transmitter and you also need to change the model number every time you fly a different model but you do not need to rebind the receiver every time.

John
Old 11-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably know this, but because this is the beginners' forum a reminder may be useful for somebody. If your transmitter is set to "Model 1" (for example) and you try to use it to fly another model, the outcome may be unhappy (especially if Model 2 has its aileron and rudder servoes reversed and Model one doesn't, etc.) This is one more reason why everyone's preflight check should include making sure every control surface and the throttle are going in the direction they should go with the appropriate stick movement.. I think Spektrum transmitters will contol only the receiver in the model the transmitter is set for, but Futabas aren't like that.

Oops! Not the beginners' forum. Still maybe worth a reminder, though.

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 11-30-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 AM
jetmech05

As stated above. Model 1 should be what you're flying now. All you have to do is select another model in the menu model 2 bind and set up the airplane. You will lose none of the settings going back and forth between the models. Make sure you do a preflight check of your controls. Futaba does not have model memory like JR it is possible to fly on the wrong model even a control check is no promise your on the right model double check
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TPL33
So, you can have 2 identical RX's using the same radio? I'm guessing the Radio knows the difference when you set it up with the RX and place it under a different model/differently named model? I'm new at these new radios. I do know that when I turn my radio on, displayed on the screen is " MDL 1". So when I link up the other RX it will be or show "MDL 2"? Thanks.
The TX will control any RX that is bound to it no matter what model you're one in the TX, you have to make sure you're on the right model yourself.. The JR/Spectrum systems Binds differently,, you can't opeate the wrong RX if the TX isn't selected to the correct model with those,

good luck
Old 12-01-2013, 06:22 AM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

agree with all the above, and here's one more idea, read the manual that came with the radio. Should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

+1 you need to get familiar with the radio, you can program the model's name into the tx, so it's easier to pick the right one later.
When you turn your tx on, you want to make sure you have the right model selected.
That is the nice thing about computer radios, you don't have to worry about changing settings and trims every time you fly a different model.

There are some high end radio systems which can recognize the planes, but they cost a lot more then most of us are willing to spend.

So this becomes a part of the start up routine - check the model selection, check every channel you use on the plane.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 AM
CafeenMan

It's already been said a couple of times, but do be sure you have the right model selected before you start it up or try to fly it. Most computer transmitters let you name each model. In your case you can have up to six so each should have a unique name that you know instantly what plane the transmitter is telling you that it's set to. Even if it only gives you eight characters you need a name that makes sense. While it would be great to put in the entire name of the model, usually you can't do that.

Even my high end Futaba 12FG doesn't give me many letters. I couldn't name a model, "Spirit of St. Louis" for example. I'd name it "Spirit S.L." or something.

One other thing is that most computer transmitters will let you copy a model. That's a great feature. Let's say you want to experiment with some things on the model you're flying now. But you want to make a lot of changes without having to change it all back if you don't like how the changes worked. Instead of changing the setup you have now that you know works, you copy the model and then make adjustments to that. If you really don't like it you can just delete it and copy the original model to that memory again to give it another try.

That said, it's really a bad idea to make a lot of changes all at once because it will be harder to tell what improved the model and what made it worse.

If you havne't named your Model 1 yet then you should before you do anything else and especially before adding another model.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Wingdinger2

Yup, you got it. I have a Hitec Aurora 9, and use a variety of Hitec 2.4 Ghz RX's throughout my fleet. Every time I get a new RX, I simply bind it to my TX and it's ready to stick in a plane. Every time I set up a new plane, I simply add a new model in the transmitter settings. When I want to fly a different plane, I simply select that other plane in the TX settings, and go fly.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On a transmitter that is capable of operating several different models as is your 6EX
might I suggest that you type out a list of the planes model #'s & names and tape it to
the back of your TX that way you know what model number is for the model name,
simple, easy and effective. If you loose or assign an existing model # to a different
plane, don't forget to do another updated list............

Bill D.