Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Aileron Authority

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aileron Authority

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron Authority

Is there more airleron authority at the root of a wing or at the tip? If I want to put a short aileron or ailerons on a wing, say only half the span of the wing half, would I want them out at the tip of the wing or in at the root of the wing?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 AM
ByLoudDesign

Think of it as a lever trying to tip the plane! The further out towards the tip the more leverage.If moved inboard the larger It will have to be to provide the same leverage!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Is there more airleron authority at the root of a wing or at the tip? If I want to put a short aileron or ailerons on a wing, say only half the span of the wing half, would I want them out at the tip of the wing or in at the root of the wing?
Full size aircraft generally place a short aileron on the outboard part of the wing. If I use a short one I put a barn door one out to the tip.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Also, flaps are inboard which decreases any potential rolling effect they might have.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most all modern pylon racers AMA rulebook (not warbirds) use inboard ailerons for the opposite reason because aileron throws are so small already inboard ailerons soften response even a bit more.

John
Old 12-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few yrs ago we only used one ail on the pylon racers. At high speed, not much authority needed.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When you look at the war birds the ailerons are small in comparison to say an Edge or Extra 300 and they are out on the end of the wing. Air travels laterally across the wing towards the tip and that is where the greatest force is. wing shape dictates the amount of aileron needed to fly right, having a large one on some planes cause more control problems than others, the throws can be to much or to little. Look at a plane design like yours and follow suit, you should be ok.

Leroy
Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Lnewqban

Originally Posted by JollyPopper
You want them out at the tips of the wings, but somehow protected by the tips from accidental ground contact that could strip one servo or bend a control rod.