Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Aroma Therapy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Aroma Therapy?

At times in the past I've encountered very pleasant smells from other's glow powered aircraft. It seems to only come from four stroke engines usually upon start up. I don't know if this is castor oil or some particular brand of fuel I'm smelling but is a very pleasant, cooked rather than burned smell. I'm using a four stroke powered airplane now but don't seem to ever encounter it in my own airplane. Perhaps my nose is desensitized due to using a different fuel, familiarity, or saturation of the senses.

I like glow smells regardless of type, however this is over and above all else - even burnt kerosene, avgas, and 1/2A fuel odors.

I heard one can add cologne/aftershave to a gallon of fuel to achieve a pleasant aroma; have you ever done this? What kind and how much have you added?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 AM
SC4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by H5606
At times in the past I've encountered very pleasant smells from other's glow powered aircraft. It seems to only come from four stroke engines usually upon start up. I don't know if this is castor oil or some particular brand of fuel I'm smelling but is a very pleasant, cooked rather than burned smell. I'm using a four stroke powered airplane now but don't seem to ever encounter it in my own airplane. Perhaps my nose is desensitized due to using a different fuel, familiarity, or saturation of the senses.

I like glow smells regardless of type, however this is over and above all else - even burnt kerosene, avgas, and 1/2A fuel odors.

I heard one can add cologne/aftershave to a gallon of fuel to achieve a pleasant aroma; have you ever done this? What kind and how much have you added?
I am with you H5606. I love the smell of glow fuel. I guess it goes back to my days as a kid starting my Cox control line plane in my bedroom. I wonder if the fuel you are smelling is Wildcat. They use Klotz synthetic oil in their mix. I have always used Klotz in my motocross bikes and jetskis for this very reason. Smells great!!

Last edited by SC4life; 12-30-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:39 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Wildcat has an aftershave type smell to it. I often notice it when running up a plane on the ground. I use nothing but Wildcat in my 4 strokes, it is the only one I found that lists oil content on the bottle, the other brands on the shelves don't. Maybe it is the Klotz that I smell. I did see on the shelf at Hobbytown perfumes for glow fueled cars. I gave it a fleeting thought, but then realized, only the birds would be smelling it.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:29 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I know I've never used Wildcat fuels before perhaps because I've either overlooked it, was afraid of it, or I use what is available at local hobby shops here in the mid-Atlantic region. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM
acdii

It costs less than Cool Power, which is the other brand they stock, which is one that does not list the oil content on it. I think I get it for $18, and the CP is $20+.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AHHH the smell of coffee and castor glow fuel in the morning. That brings back memories. Good ole K&B 1000 fuel had the best smell to it. Not like the synthetic fuels today. It was sweet and satisfying.

Buzz.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its funny , but glow fuel does smell like coffee.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 AM
acdii

I drink a lot of coffee, and I never thought the GF smelled like coffee(good thing too I might drink it by mistake!).
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it would really wake you up if you did.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always used Powermaster fuel but for the year they weren't making it I used Wildcat and it has a distinct order to it. Smells different then any other fuel I have used.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

One of the guys at our field swears it is the castor oil that provides the pleasant smell. He even puts a little castor oil in his riding mower and says it smells good.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
acdii

Dont breath in too many of the castor exhaust fumes. You do know why the pilots of old wore scarves, right?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fox Missile Mist used to have some perfume in. I put some castor in my Virago motorcycle's gas tank when it was new to break it in. It smelled like my models.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would absolutely buy a glow fuel scented candle. The stuff smells great. I fly electric now but am grateful for that first whiff at every contest

I think the 'good stuff' might be castor oil based.