Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wjvail
This is incorrect. This is an incorrect description of p-factor. In fact, most of this post that includes this quote is incorrect.
correct of course, it's not a gyroscopic effect but an aerodynamic phenomenon ... but it does only cause the airplane to 'want' to turn in the same direction as the propeller is spinning...
(which is typically to the left with RC models / single engine airplanes with a CCW rotating propeller (viewed from the front))

however, since this discussion has remained pretty much a civil discussion, I'm a little apprehensive of your term 'and any suggestion otherwise is BS.'

I agree the airplane will turn left or right just as easily... but It sounds as if the person you're referring to who flies behind the pitts so as to only make left hand turns simply hasn't taken the time to learn and is fearful / frightened/apprehensive of something he perceives to be difficult or dangerous (his perception, not mine)... is THAT the reason this guy has difficulty?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven in japan after a while driving on the left I liked better...the question I have is how do you have an airfield where the pattern is set up better one way than the other...the pattern should be dictated by the wind.... The other thing that surprises me is the number of pilots that have problems turning a certain direction.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, if you fly with your thumbs, it is easier to make small corrections by pushing with your thumb rather than pulling. A left turn requires a precise (set of) pushes with the thumb. then a swift pull right to straighten out. You are also usually pulling down on the stick with your thumb as well. So you are both pushing the stick left, and pulling the stick down. Two separate motions that we can easily combine as they are distinct.

However, when turning right, you are now pulling with your thumb to turn right, as well as pulling down meaning you have to combine two forms of "pull" to get the correct movement on the plane. This composite motion of a single force on one limb requires a lot more concentration.

For those who fly with fingers I think it would be the same issue but maybe not as bad? I only fly with my thumbs.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM
essyou35

Re: P-Factor

The right turn issue exists with gliders and jets (turbine and EDF) where the P factor is basically null. Just wanted to point that out. SO I think p factor can be ruled out unless someone wants to say right turns are easier on jets. Which I can tell you they are not when I first started.

I can take right turns with any jet/plane just as easy but note ti does take more concentration on my thumb movements due to a "double pull" I am doing as mentioned above this post.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
IMO, if you fly with your thumbs, it is easier to make small corrections by pushing with your thumb rather than pulling. A left turn requires a precise (set of) pushes with the thumb. then a swift pull right to straighten out. You are also usually pulling down on the stick with your thumb as well. So you are both pushing the stick left, and pulling the stick down. Two separate motions that we can easily combine as they are distinct.

However, when turning right, you are now pulling with your thumb to turn right, as well as pulling down meaning you have to combine two forms of "pull" to get the correct movement on the plane. This composite motion of a single force on one limb requires a lot more concentration.

For those who fly with fingers I think it would be the same issue but maybe not as bad? I only fly with my thumbs.
I make my turns using rudder. How does that fit your theory ?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Originally Posted by Proptip
So it is more natural to PUSH the stick left than it is to PULL the stick right. If anyone has flown full scale aircraft with stick control you know what I mean. Just my thoughts after flying for more than 40 yrs. I still find myself concentrating a little more when flying right hand landing approaches with RC aircraft.
I too have spent a lot of time in full-scale airplanes. I got my private in a Champ. I have owned a 1941 J-3 and I have instructed in an early Citabria. When you are sitting in a tandem seat, stick controlled, left-hand throttle airplane, it is much more natural to "push" the stick to the left than it is to "pull" the stick to your right. The movement or pressure against the stick in flight is almost like leaning into the turn and the airplane follows. You have more leverage in a left turn than you do in a right turn. It takes a lot more muscle, or at least a different set of muscles, to make a Citabria do a complete roll to the left.

Whenever I flew a side-by-side airplane with two sticks and a shared throttle in the center, I was much more comfortable in the right seat (that's the instructor's seat, anyway) with my right hand on the stick and my left hand on the throttle.

Even if you haven't had this kind of experience, I think the same thing applies to the sticks on your Mode 2 Transmitter. You probably have more freedom of movement and more precision in a left aileron motion than you do for a right hand motion. Put your fist on your desk and try it.

I'm comfortable executing any pattern, but it is still more natural to make left turns.

As some have said above, it only takes a little practice to become proficient either way.

Steve
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer

I think the same thing applies to the sticks on your Mode 2 Transmitter. You probably have more freedom of movement and more precision in a left aileron motion than you do for a right hand motion. Put your fist on your desk and try it.

Steve
Aren't turns supposed to executed using rudder ?
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wjvail
All this discussion of P-factor, torque and coriolis affect are BS. Guys have trouble turning right because they are poor pilots and would do well to practice what they are not good at.

Yes these are very real physical concepts but they are not the reason modelers can't or don't like to turn right. You plane flies just fine in a right turn and any suggestion otherwise is BS.

We have a club member that simply can NOT turn right. If he has to land right to left, he will fly over the runway, over the pits, (to the near side of the runway - behind the flight line) and do left turns. I can tell you why he can't turn right and it doesn't include any physical airplane excuses.

Bill
So true but of course most don't want to offend another. Too many call themselves RC pilots when in reality these are the same people who can't land worth a dam.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anybody in this group ever flown control-line airplanes? They fly to the left, even though the engine torque wanted to turn the plane inside the circle, and had to be compensated with right thrust. For a while, people flew the other way, but that didn't last; it became standard to fly counter-clockwise, or to the left. I did, and now I fly mostly radio, but seem to prefer left-hand patterns. I practice RH turns all the time, but LH occurs instinctively.

There must be a reason.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
kwblake

[QUOTE=TomCrump;11700078]
Originally Posted by exfed
An interesting thread, and many good explanations. Let me add a couple. Have you ever seen a Kentucky Derby or Indy 500 race run in a CW direction?

/QUOTE]

Formula One, thought by many to be the highest form of automotive competition, races clockwise.
That's fair.......BUT, they have both left and right hand turns.........
Old 01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends on where you learned to fly. At my original home field the wind direction dictated we flew our turns from left to right. When I changed fields it was usually a left hand turn. I had a small problem with that at first but then when I flew at my home field I had a little trouble getting back into the right hand turns. It just depends on the predominate wind directions and what you get used to. Come fall the wind would make it so you flew one direction in the morning and the other direction in the afternoon. People that fly from the same field tend to just get used to the normal wind direction and have a problem when it changes directions.
When I'm at the lake bed by myself I use up all of the sky and fly in both directions except for take off and landing, then it depends on the wind direction. All stunt maneuvers I do into the wind.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Aren't turns supposed to executed using rudder ?
The bank turns the airplane. If you are flying a three-channel airplane, with rudder and elevator only, your wings will have quite a bit of dihedryl. That's not there just for stability. When you input left rudder, you are skidding the wing around so that the right wing rises and produces the turn.

If you have all four channels, just as in full scale, the wing turns the airplane. At the beginning of the turn the rudder is applied with the ailerons, not to bank or turn the airplane but to offset the adverse yaw, the tendency for the down aileron to drag and prevent the nose from coming around into the turn. Usually the rudder pressure can be eased off once the turn is established. Then you would apply rudder again with the ailerons to roll out of the turn.

If you have ailerons and you are turning with your rudder, what are you doing with your ailerons??
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
essyou35

I make my turns using rudder. How does that fit your theory ?
using rudder it is still a pull vs a push. theory holds.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I think it depends on where you learned to fly. At my original home field the wind direction dictated we flew our turns from left to right. When I changed fields it was usually a left hand turn. I had a small problem with that at first but then when I flew at my home field I had a little trouble getting back into the right hand turns. It just depends on the predominate wind directions and what you get used to. Come fall the wind would make it so you flew one direction in the morning and the other direction in the afternoon. People that fly from the same field tend to just get used to the normal wind direction and have a problem when it changes directions.
When I'm at the lake bed by myself I use up all of the sky and fly in both directions except for take off and landing, then it depends on the wind direction. All stunt maneuvers I do into the wind.
I agree with the prevailing wind digestion but could the suns' height in the sky be another factor. Our runway is orientated from west to east and the pilots stations are situated so the sun is always at your backside.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

The OP asked why is it all modelers prefer a ccw (left hand pattern) vs the cw (right hand)pattern. This is a fallacy. My preference is to land into a headwind regardless of whether it is a left or right hand pattern and all of the flyers around here feel the same way. We dont feel uncomfortable flying either pattern. All of this discussion about aerodynamics has nil to do with the supposed "preference" that a left hand pattern is preferable. Any new maneuver might possibly be uncomfortable until you become proficient and of course this proficiency will never happen if you give in to your "discomfort" to try new things. People have crashed trying these new things.... Buy a computer simulator and get proficient there first, it will make the real deal a lot more enjoyable.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
RiverLarry

Tom EZ just do loops !!! R/L
Old 01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Sgt. Meyer

Originally Posted by DISCUS54
All of this discussion about aerodynamics has nil to do with the supposed "preference" that a left hand pattern is preferable.
Of course your pattern depends on the wind direction. But I don't think the question was limited to the direction of the traffic pattern. Some - if not most - are more comfortable making left turns, even outside the pattern. And I wouldn't argue against getting over it.

The aerodynamics answer was just in response to the question about turning with the rudder.

Didn't intend to get off thread.

SM
Old 01-03-2014, 02:55 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by essyou35
using rudder it is still a pull vs a push. theory holds.
How ? Your left hand is opposite. Wouldn't ease of motion be opposite, too ?

I was taught to use the rudder for turns. Aillerons are implemented to control roll.

It is possible to skid through a turn, but counter aileron has to be implemented. If you add too much rudder alone, the model will bank and tip the nose downward.

I use elevator for pitch.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_(aircraft)
Aileron for roll http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/alr.html
Rudder for yaw.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudder

By reading these links it appears that you are correct, Sgt Meyer

Last edited by TomCrump; 01-03-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Sgt. Meyer

I was taught to use the rudder for turns. Aillerons are implemented to control roll.

It is possible to skid through a turn, but counter aileron has to be implemented. If you add too much rudder alone, the model will bank and tip the nose downward.
YIKES!! We need to get together over in the aerodynamics section. Your methods would be deadly in a "full-scale" plane.

No offense. Just basic technique.

Steve.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Sgt. Meyer
YIKES!! We need to get together over in the aerodynamics section. Your methods would be deadly in a "full-scale" plane.

No offense. Just basic technique.

Steve.
Sorry. I used headed when I should have used yaw.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_dynamics
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM
kochj

Why do open SKATERS go counter clock wise?
Or Nascar counter clock wise.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Around here, most make right turns.

It really depends on wind, and field orientation.

Say that the runway runs norh/south. The wind is out of the north. The flying station is on the west side of the runway.

You take off into the wind, and turn right, to avoid flying over back, the pit area. This is the start of a right hand pattern. All turns will be to the right.

Now, same field, same wind, but the flting station/ pits are on the east side of the runway. You take off, and turn left, to avoid flying over your pits and flying station. This is a left hand pattern.
This is how we do it at our field too. However there is always that one or two A-HOLES who fly backwards and blames it on his inability to turn right. )-=< I always fear losing my plane in a "mid air" with one of these clowns.

Last edited by Lightspeed1551; 01-03-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Adder
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

We are all NASCAR fans. HAHAHAHAHAHAHa
Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Actually, the CCW convention was eventually the result of a combat defensive maneuver practice dating back to WWI and the Le Rhone engine. This radial engine rotated around a fixed crankshaft rather than a crankshaft rotating inside a fixed engine. Because of the torque created by the higher weight of the engine, snap rolls and barrel rolls to the left and left turns could be done much faster than to the right. And going left in these planes was faster than an opponents airplane that had a rotating crankshaft. Conversely, the opponent had the advantage going to the right on a Le Rhone airplane. This kind of carries today. Out of curiosity when this subject came up, I checked into full sized airport approach patterns. In the main, they left-left-left-left.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never flown a full scale Sopwith Camel but it has unusual flight characteristics due to its rotary engine which are well documented. You hold top rudder in a left hand turn. Guess what? You hold that same right rudder in a right hand turn. I wonder why? Of course, I'm being factitious! I don't over think any of this stuff. To me it is intuitive. I am a scientific type and like to understand things. If you've ever experienced 'torque steer' driving your auto then you are experiencing similar 'magic'. You compensate by turning the steering wheel to go the intended direction. This is no different in model airplanes except that there is another dynamic to experience in the name of the 'Z' axis.

Of course, like I've said before, it can be habit that causes a flier to only go in left hand circles! Over to you! Cheers! ARUP (whose I.Q. is much larger than his hat size unlike some of the posters here)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.