Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are replacing the yaw/slip indicator with nose above or below the horizon. Since we are not in the plane, we have to make our best guess on whether our turn is coordinated or not. I would agree if you said "if the nose is lagging" versus "above the turn."

Kurt
Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Around here, most make right turns.

It really depends on wind, and field orientation.

Say that the runway runs norh/south. The wind is out of the north. The flying station is on the west side of the runway.

You take off into the wind, and turn right, to avoid flying over back, the pit area. This is the start of a right hand pattern. All turns will be to the right.

Now, same field, same wind, but the flting station/ pits are on the east side of the runway. You take off, and turn left, to avoid flying over your pits and flying station. This is a left hand pattern.
Every time this subject comes up someone answers liek you did. However, THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION - the question is PREFERENCE. At one club I flew at we had many options as to where we flew based on time of day and wind direction. We preferred to set our pit postion so we would have a left hand pattern. I think it could have something to do with the way our brain process left-to-right information like reading.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Bozarth

Instructor,

I now understand your point. Yes, if the nose/longitudinal axis is pointing above the horizon in a level turn, your are slipping.

Kurt
Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most and I mean the majority of R/C pilots don't know how to use rudder. I fly in an area where the prevailing wind is from the West. This direction forces you to make CW landing pattern. Try flying a helicopter without using rudder and see what happens. Without the helicopter experience I would be among those who never learned to fly with rudder.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In flying our rc models -coordinated turns don't really mean squat
Knowing when and how to use rudder is important of course
Try learning to do rolling circles inside then outside rolls- left hand then right hand circles
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bozarth
Help me out here...do you teach the wing low method for landing in a crosswind? Or landing in a crab? Neither technique results in "straight with wings level on final." Unless you only fly when its calm, but that would make you a PISS POOR PILOT!

Kurt
Hey KBOzo Don't do cross winds with a student till they have accomplished keeping it straight down the runway in normal condition
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Bozarth

Yes, but when are the winds directly down the runway? The name of my club here in Colorado is "Crosswinds RC Club". If there is any crosswind, let a beginner land in a crab. The fuselage WILL NOT be aligned with the runway, but his ground track will.

Kurt
Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
The Great Squintini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not just airplane physics. I can't remember ever the last time I saw the Daytona 500 turning to the right either!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by The Great Squintini
It's not just airplane physics. I can't remember ever the last time I saw the Daytona 500 turning to the right either!
Donuts they Do Donuts to the right .... Mostly
Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM
HoundDog

Keeping the plane in the middle of the runway is what landing is all about. Banking the plane instead of YAWING the plane causes the plane to loose lift and TIP STALL close to the ground witch starts a serias of things that lead to a poor or bad landing at best and a crashed plane at worst.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I remember some CHP motorcycle cop telling me that he could tell a right handed rider from a left handed rider by the wear on the front tire. Right handed riders would be much more aggressive in LEFT turns, and wear out the left side of the tire more.

Les
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to take off to the left and land from the left at my feild becouse 8-10 times we got a head on cross wing (blowing towards my face) so wind don't matter, but I like the left side of my feild becouse in lading there are less tress and I can come in lower, and I like to take off that way becouse again less trees. lol
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Bozarth

Originally Posted by HoundDog
..Banking the plane instead of YAWING the plane causes the plane to loose lift and TIP STALL close to the ground ..
But......I mean......No!.........Lift vectors.....Bank angle........angle of attack.........I'm speechless. Somebody help me!!!

Kurt
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So question, As I have never had an instructor, are you saying one should try to keep the wings level in the finail approch?

Is this manly true for Top Wing Trainner/cub planes?

As I fly manly gaint war birds, and the thought of the added drag in the finail approch with rudder would worrie me.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
MTK

Nah, I don't buy any of it!!

It's Coriolis effect...it's natural to make left turns in the northern hemisphere just as Tornados and Hurricanes do. In the southern hemisphere, it's natural to turn right, as Typhoons do. Any other turns are learned.
Heck, if you look really close, servos behave the same way.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"As I fly manly gaint war birds, and the thought of the added drag in the finail approch with rudder would worrie me."

Rudders were invented to control yaw, i.e., direction. Since the tail will move with the application of rudder, there will be insignificant additional drag.\

Les
Old 03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
SushiHunter

I can take-off, fly, land in either direction so it doesn't really matter to me which way, just as long as it is in relationship with what the wind is doing. My preference though is left turns but I've made it a habit to fly both just so I can keep up current with both left and right.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by MTK
Nah, I don't buy any of it!!

It's Coriolis effect...it's natural to make left turns in the northern hemisphere just as Tornados and Hurricanes do. In the southern hemisphere, it's natural to turn right, as Typhoons do. Any other turns are learned.
Heck, if you look really close, servos behave the same way.
This reminds me....when crossing the equator, toilets are supposed to start swirling in the opposite direction when flushed. That's what we used to tell the new guys
Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
HoundDog

Those that have never flown full scale have Little Idea of the proper use of the rudder ...
R/C planes do not act like Full Scale Especially Trainers. They fly (TURN) well with out the use of rudder . For those that have at least some Full Scale Flight training remember your flight instructor saying "Step on the Ball" that ment that witch ever side of the ball in the turn coordinator or turn and bank instrument was on (left or Right of center) was the Rudder peddle U pushed to center the ball so your turn was coordinated and keep your Butt from sliding out of the seat.

LOW pressure areas south of the Equator Turn in the opposite direction as Northern hemisphere.
Toilets in the northern and southern swirl right hand because that is how they are made ...Any Aussies out there care to comment?

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-21-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by HoundDog
OH Water indeed duz indeed swirl to the right as does LOW pressure areas south of the Equator.
Any Aussies out there care to comment?
I've spent time in Australia and the toilets still flushed the same direction as they do in America. Also:

"Contrary to popular misconception, water rotation in home bathrooms under normal circumstances is not related to the Coriolis effect or to the rotation of the earth, and no consistent difference in rotation direction between toilets in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres can be observed. The formation of a vortex over the plug hole may be explained by the conservation of angular momentum: The radius of rotation decreases as water approaches the plug hole, so the rate of rotation increases, for the same reason that an ice skater's rate of spin increases as they pull their arms in. Any rotation around the plug hole that is initially present accelerates as water moves inward."
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Most circle track racing on the other side of the world is clockwise too.
The pattern at my old field (Bayside, Fremont, Ca) was dependent on the wind and we had too many midair's by people flying against the pattern so learn to fly from both ends after all, wadayado when you have a dead stick at the wrong end of the field?
\
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Carlos - "too many midair's by people flying against the pattern"?? Enforcing the agreed-upon flying pattern (whatever it is that day, depending on wind) a pretty basic duty of all members at the field. Do you have some rogue members that don't listen to the rules? At my club(s) there are a couple of flyers who seem to have a hard time staying in the pattern (even after being reminded) - I make it a point not to fly when they're flying.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Some people just don't listen.
Had a member buy a $50.00 POC at our annual auction, next day he knocked down one of our scale guy's beautiful T-Bolt flying against the pattern and yes, there were times I would stay on the ground when they were in the air.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

You are a member of the club just like they are. If they are constantly flying aginst the pattern, then you have the right to tell them so. No need to give up your flying time just because they don't fly the pattern. I'm an instructor in our club and I try to get the ones that have a HARD time flying the pattern, reguardless of the direction, to fly the pattern. If they need help, then I take it on myself to help them with what ever problem they have. It makes a better pilot of them and they get to fly with everyone else in the right pattern........

Larry/ Instructor
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Instructor
You are a member of the club just like they are. If they are constantly flying aginst the pattern, then you have the right to tell them so. No need to give up your flying time just because they don't fly the pattern. I'm an instructor in our club and I try to get the ones that have a HARD time flying the pattern, reguardless of the direction, to fly the pattern. If they need help, then I take it on myself to help them with what ever problem they have. It makes a better pilot of them and they get to fly with everyone else in the right pattern........

Larry/ Instructor
It's a personal instructor that is responsible for how a person eventually flies. There are people in this hobby that just can't/won't make Right hand turns into them selves. especially if your lucky enough to have a flight line that faces north. (4 out of the 5 clubs I belong to do. I am fortunate enough to spend 6 months in Apache Junction AZ. and 6 months in SE Wisconsin where it was 32 degrees F this morning. My point is we all know people that are the crashers and smashers and so long as they aren't dangerous let them be. but Yes, it's the club officers and instructors that ultimately responsible for the safety practices of the club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.