Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobbyking trainstar tough electric problem

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobbyking trainstar tough electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
The trainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyking trainstar tough electric problem

Hi everyone! I have just bough the hobbyking trainstar and when it was complete the rudder, elevator and throttle worked perfekt. But when i pluged in the ailerons They didnt respons. So I switched it with the rudder and it still didnt work. But when I pluged the rudder back in on the right Chanel it didnt work! So then I removed all chanels to plug them back in. But now nothing works? Not even the nice little melodi you get when you plug in the batteri. Please help me, I realt want to fly Tank you
Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be many things.
Servo plugs could be inserted incorrectly. Check the polarity of the plugs versus the receiver and also any extensions. Black or brown wires will either all be facing up or down ...only two ways to go.
Is there power going to the receiver from the esc? Any lights on or flashing?
Does the esc have a good power connection?
Is there an arming switch on the plane that needs to be turned on before anything works(should state this in the manual)?
Is the throttle stick all the way down along with the throttle trim lever?
If nothing is working after all that is checked and you don't hear any tones from the motor then you probably lost the bind with the transmitter and the receiver. Re-bind the receiver to the transmitter. Hopefully the instructions on how to do this are in the manual.
If it is bound correctly and no servos work then you may have a bad receiver.

Hopefully you can get it back to working condition, If you end up having bad parts I don't know what to tell you as you won't get any customer service satisfaction from HK and who knows if they even stock replacement parts for this. More reason to buy from your local hobby store for a first time plane. You may pay more but they will usually help you and usually have parts there for you. Good luck.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-08-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Everything going off does sound like you plugged it all in backwards. It doesn't hurt anything, just keeps anything from working.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 AM
The trainer

Thank you for your replies. But when I plug in the battery nothing happens its completely dead. Anyway thank you for your help and I Will keep trying
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM
flyinwalenda

Is the battery charged?
Is there 5v coming from the ESC on the throttle plug to power the receiver?
Are there broken wire connections on the battery plug or ESC connector ?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
The trainer

I Will start with chagrins the battery and then i moget have to looken the esc to inspect it :/
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM
The trainer

What does that mean?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM
jester_s1

Do you have an electrical multi meter? If so, check the voltage from your battery. You should see 12.6 volts (or very close to that) when it's fully charged. If that checks out, plug it in and check the lead from the ESC that goes to the receiver. It should be 5-6 volts. If that checks out, your receiver should work. If it doesn't, it's bad. If one channel of the receiver doesn't work, try another servo in that spot. If it still doesn't work, the receiver is bad. If it does, the servo is bad.
These kinds of situations are common with Hobby King equipment I'm sad to say. Hopefully we can help you figure it out, but go ahead and figure out spending some money to get this plane flying. HK isn't going to replace anything for you without you moving Heaven and Earth and waiting for weeks or even months to get new parts. If you continue in the hobby, it's a good idea to make a thread here and ask about others' experiences with planes that you are considering. HobbyKing, Banana Hobby, and Nitroplanes all have pretty bad reputations for service and quality, although all 3 do also carry some decent products also.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM
The trainer

Ok thanks
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
The trainer

We just realized that the receiver is gone but you van just but a receiver and bind it with the remote right? You dont need to get a new remote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
opjose

It sounds like you were doing just fine until you came to the aileron connection.

Even when you moved the aileron plug to another channel it still would not work.

So you likely have a reversed aileron connector wire somewhere.

If the plane has two servos, one for each aileron, it could be that only one is reversed.

Check the connectors to the ailerons and get things working as you had before WITHOUT the ailerons connected.

Get back to a known "good" state and tackle the problem, one thing at a time.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
flyinwalenda

We were giving you good step-by-step procedures to test this . It would be helpful if you listed all of the steps you took and what you found when testing.
Trying to figure out how you now know the receiver is bad?

If the receiver is bad I have no idea where you will get another because we don't know who makes the transmitter/receiver system. I'm sure it is a china made lower level system and the receiver needs to be the same manufacturer in order to work.

You would need to post some pics of the transmitter and receiver.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 AM
The trainer

Okay, I first started with charging the battery and it showed 12,6 volts like you said. When I plugged it back in I measured the contact from the esc that goes to the reciever and it showed 5 volts. So I thought it was the reciever that had broke because it had power.. But I also checked the servos in a nother reciever and they work. What do you think it is?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Hopefully we can help you figure it out, but go ahead and figure out spending some money to get this plane flying. HK isn't going to replace anything for you without you moving Heaven and Earth and waiting for weeks or even months to get new parts. If you continue in the hobby, it's a good idea to make a thread here and ask about others' experiences with planes that you are considering. HobbyKing, Banana Hobby, and Nitroplanes all have pretty bad reputations for service and quality, although all 3 do also carry some decent products also.
Excellent post ! I hope that every newcomer to the hobby reads it, and takes your advice.

"Saving money" at these vendors can be an expensive proposition.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by The trainer
Okay, I first started with charging the battery and it showed 12,6 volts like you said. When I plugged it back in I measured the contact from the esc that goes to the reciever and it showed 5 volts. So I thought it was the reciever that had broke because it had power.. But I also checked the servos in a nother reciever and they work. What do you think it is?
OK That's good. Now if the esc plug is connected into the receiver properly and the receiver still won't light up, bind, or function then it is probably blown. I read comments on the HK site for this plane and there were several about shorted receivers because of bad wiring/soldering.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 AM
jester_s1

If you have good power to the receiver and are 100% sure everything is plugged in right, then you have a dead receiver. These things happen sometimes. Is there a brand name on the receiver or transmitter so you know what to replace them with?
Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 AM
The trainer

Ok, I dont think there was a perticular brand so I just thought I would Go to My local hobbyshop and ask for some tips
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 AM
The trainer

Yeah, Thank you Guys for your help
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM
flyinwalenda

See post below,,,,

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-10-2014 at 06:46 AM. Reason: double post
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM
flyinwalenda

You didn't post any pics or tell us what kind/make/model of transmitter it is. If I would guess it's something made by Lanyu ?

If it is I doubt you will find any receivers at any hobby shop or any USA online store. They will probably tell you that you need to get a new radio and receiver and in that case you will probably be spending more than what you paid for the plane.
The only other thing would be to order one from china. Either from HK (if they have any) or from ebay . Maybe this is the receiver you have? Again I don't know for sure):http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanyu-2-4ghz...item2319f4376a

Not trying to pour salt in your wound or get you discouraged but this is the result when you buy a first time plane from the internet especially from a company like HK. I hope you can get it fixed . Next time order from a more reputable company like Horizon Hobby. They will help you over the phone with technical issues and support the plane with parts that are quickly available. Or get something that is supported by Horizon Hobby through you local hobby shop and you have even more resources to tap if something goes wrong.

If you want to get a new entry level radio/receiver set you can look at something from this place. They usually have good stock, the stuff works OK, their shipping is low and you will have it in a few days.
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-systems-servos/radios/flysky-transmitter.ht

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-10-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 AM
jester_s1

Yep, the hobby shop won't be able to help you. They'll know everything about the brands they carry and most other commonly used stuff, but these cheap HK bundled planes use whatever radio gear they could get made by 9 year olds that work in the sweatshop. It's possible HK themselves will carry receivers for this plane, in which case you can probably replace it for $10-$15. Alternately, you can do a full return to HK which will get you a refund eventually, but don't expect to be flying before spring time. Flyinwalenda's post is dead on- there are good vendors out there that sell good stuff that will work for you and who will take care of you if there is a problem. Hopefully this experience hasn't discouraged you too much from the hobby. After you get over this hump and get in the air, it's very rewarding.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 AM
The trainer

Yep, thats the one, thanks for the tip and I Will look for a good new reciever and radio I think
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM
The trainer

Yeah, I Will look for a new one and once I get going it Will realy be Worth it, I used to have a small 3ch plane, really good Fun
Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

if your hobby shop is any decent, they'll try to bind a new Rx to your current TX for you.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM
flyinwalenda

I highly doubt any local hobby shop ,except possibly one in china ,would have a Lanyu receiver.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-10-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.