Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Intro & Nitro T-28 Trojan Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Intro & Nitro T-28 Trojan Question

Old 01-14-2014, 06:57 AM
1983 VT-27 AT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro & Nitro T-28 Trojan Question

Hello,

I am new here. I didn't see any place in the forums for introductions and I had a question anyway, so I thought I would post my introduction here.

I am both an experienced pilot and a rank novice, beginner. Last time I flew was 30 years ago. I had built my own plane (SIG Kadet Mk II), learned to fly it, and learned to crash it. That last part was easy. Haven't built or flown since. As my name implies, I was a member of VT-27 in Corpus Christi in 1983. I maintained the venerable T-28B Trojan as an AT (Aviation Electronics Technician). More about this later as it has to do with my question. I flew RC planes at that time also.

Well, due to other incurred partaking in other hobbies that I picked up since that time, I am at the end of my working life. Well, my employable life anyway. I am settling down to live near my son and grandchildren. I was thinking I would have to have something to do in my life to fill this massive void of not working. Therefor I am getting back into RC modeling. Now to my question.

After I build another trainer plane (another SIG Kadet Mk II) and learn how to fly again (this time without crashing), I was wanting to build a T-28 Trojan. Maybe a 1/8 scale. Anyway, As I am looking for a kit to build, I am noticing that every one of the kits are RTF or ARF and they have electric motors instead of nitro (or gas) engines. Does anyone make a nitro or gas T-28 kit anymore? I remember back in the mid 80s that there were a number of kits that used a nitro engine and 8 fake cylinders to make up the scale R-1820 radial engine. Does 1/8 scale exists? I see a lot of 1/5 scale kits.

Thanks & hello,

Jamie
Old 01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

T-28 KITS are hard to come by nowadays, and as a T-28 lover, I have stored a 1/5 scale Pica T-28 in the attic 'to build someday'. It will be my second one I believe Hobby People have a smaller T-28 by a company "BH" that can use either nitro or electrons. I looked at their website and didn't see it listed anymore

Check the "Buy and Sell" section at the top of the page here on RCU and click on 'find ads' as every so often one will appear. In the meantime, consider a T-28 foam plane by Horizon (it is electric) but is GREAT to fly http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

Jerry
Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In about the early 90s the ARFs started to get popular and kits were fazed out in the 2000s. In the early 2000s Tower had a very nice {OK} 40 size ARF of the T-28. I'm not an ARF guy so I don't really follow with what they have or don't have these days but if you go onto ebay I'm sure you will see one or two.
In place of kits most of the old kit builders have gone over to just buying plans and cutting our own kits. airage/M.A.N. plans service and the AMA site have most anything you are looking for. RCM has a web site but only take your money without ever sending you the plans so avoid them and always check here on RCU or other sites if you find a company you think you would like to deal with before you buy anything. There are a lot of RC rip off sites around on the net. airage is on the up and up and so is the AMA so I know they are good folks to deal with.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM
jetmech05

Hey 83 welcome....I too worked on T-28's as an AE at MCAS Quantico back in 76 at the end of proficiency flying. I was a young Sgt back then.
Pica makes a kit as does black horse.
Coming back into the hobby do yourself look at gas engines
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
1983 VT-27 AT

Yeah, gas engines are new to me. Well, as far as RC modeling goes anyway. Is it simply a fuel choice? I know the engines themselves will be different. But will a gas engine fit into the same models that a nitro engine will? Also, I was looking at getting either a Spektrum Dx6i or a Futaba T7c. I'm not familiar with just what Frequency hopping is and DSSS technology. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Jetmech05, I see you are in Jax. I lived there for 9 years. 4 years out at Cecil Field and about 5 years in Mayport. I was on the Forrestal. I will be moving to Brooksville in about 30 days.

Jamie
Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 PM
spitflyer ch ch

t-28 great flyer also was a At-usn from 59--67.
HAVE A LOOK AT FRSKY TX--GREAT RADIO NO PROBS FOR A TECH.
TOM
Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Pica is long gone, you will not find a new kit in the usual places. I had one that I restored and then sold. Strill have the plug I made for the canopy, you will never find one by it's self.
Radios have changed a lot, buy a good one that is common enought that you can go to someone for help.

BTW, welcome!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
1983 VT-27 AT

Wow SpitFlyer, I was born in '59. Hahahaha.

I understand 2.4ghz is the norm now.
Which also leads me to believe that PCM, PPM or FM is no longer used.
Both the Dx6I and the T7C have all the mixers I would want. Both have plenty of channels for almost anything I'm gonna fly. My past experience was with a 5ch Futaba and I loved it.

Jamie
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
spitflyer ch ch

yep 2.4ghz for sure still look at the frsky taranis for value in the long run .
and yes I;m 72 years young fly 60 size escapade with a dle-20 rv-4 with os-95 fs pz-t-28 ko-152h dle-20
tom