Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how to set timing for OS 300 twin

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how to set timing for OS 300 twin

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM
delandrcman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to set timing for OS 300 twin

I have an OS ft 300 twin that I believe the timing is off after I received it back for maintenance. Does anyone know how the camshaft gear meshes with the crankshaft gear for timing. Or how does the hole line up with the dash on the second gear (crankshaft gear) ?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/ft-300-manual.pdf"

This may help.

Les
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
delandrcman

Thanks! I actually looked through it and just need to know how the dash and the whole line up on the two gears! Let me know if you have any advice.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Very interesting problem. Looking at my 160, it looks as if you would have to put a dial indicator on the piston to determine TDC, and then look at the gears to see where they were, on one that had not been touched since the factory. Since mine is brand new, never been run, I cannot bring myself to take it apart to try to find out. And I have to dial indicator that would work.

Les

p.s. On a closer look, I'm not even sure how my suggestion would work. Very tough problem. Let us know when you find out.
p.p.s. Another look: If you made a 3 or 4 " diameter disk to replace the prop and use for "marking". Support the engine so that a piston is moving vertically (using gravity to an advantage), put a rod against the top of the piston through the glow plug hole, then rotate the crank clockwise until the rod just stops moving upward, and mark that location. Then repeat the operation, rotating the crank counter clockwise until the rod just stops moving upward, and mark that location. Halfway between those two marks should be TDC. If one were to repeat the operation several times, you should be able to be very, very close. I think how close, depends on how accurately you do the job. Again, let us know

Les

Last edited by LesUyeda; 02-05-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:04 PM
delandrcman

Thanks very much Les! I actually came across an old manual today from another member of my club and that had a diagram still in it. Turns out the dash lines up exactly with the hole on the camshaft gear.But thanks again for the idea, I would have done that next if i still couldn't figure it out!

Ben
Old 02-06-2014, 07:43 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Glad you got it.

Les