Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba T8FG Super VS Spektrum DX8

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba T8FG Super VS Spektrum DX8

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM
CP189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba T8FG Super VS Spektrum DX8

I am trying to find a 8 channel controller for my RC plane which is going to be used in a competition. I was planning to get a DX8 at the beginning since it is cheaper, but then I found out there are so many negative comments on the web about its issues. Does anyone know if those issues are solved already? and which controller do you guys recommend?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 AM
jetmech05

Depends on what issues you're talking about.... Seriously both are good....me I'm a Futaba guy
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

completely agree, which are better, ford or chevy? (you'll find RC folks can be VERY brand conscious.)
I'm a JR/ Spektrum guy... but frankly that has more to do with the different programming menues between the brands.

not to be TOO terribly picky, but nomenclature is sort of important too, you're looking for info about a Transmitter brand, (not a controller )

at the end of the day, Futaba, JR, Spektrum, Hitec, (ford, chevy, toyota, nissan) ... all have pro's and con's but are all about equal in terms of which is 'better'
Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
CP189

My main concern is the reliability. Does anyone of them have a higher chance of signal interference or lower mean time between failures?

Btw, thank you for telling me about the word "transmitter" AMA 74894
Old 02-18-2014, 11:28 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there have been some reported issues with some brands at some specific venues,
but overall I have not seen anything repeatable.
(thanks, I was trying not to be condescending about the term 'controller' )
if you browse around the rc radios forum, you should find tons of 'opinions'

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...vos-gyros-157/

I know as many top ranked world class competitors who use Futaba as those who use Spektrum or JR (and plenty that swear by Hitec)
so IMHO, it's a 'ford, chevy, or toyota' sort of question
yes, Spektrum had some serious growing pains in their first couple of years, but those have largely been fixed.
I think equally important is 'what do your local guys fly?'
having the ONLY Spektrum (or futaba) radio at the field can be a pain if you're not sure how to program something.....
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do a search for "spektrum unexplained crash" or "spektrum brownout" and you'll get pages and pages of hits that will take you all day to read through. Do the same search for Futaba and you'll get next to nothing. That should answer the question for you by itself.
Sure, there are a huge majority of Spektrum users that fly regularly and have never had a problem. But it seems that with every new Spektrum radio release, there is a flaw that costs pilots their airplanes. They fix them shortly thereafter, so as long as you are buying something that's been out more than 6 months you're probably ok. Everyone else seem to be able to get it right the first time though, so why would you reward a company that doesn't?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see loads of issues with Spektrum at my field. I have never seen a problem with the other brands.