Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Warped Aileron

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 AM
TPL33

Default Warped Aileron

Any tips on how to get a warp/twist out of an aileron that's already installed on a wing? I'm putting together a Great Planes Revolver and when I hooked up the aileron push rods, I couldn't get the aileron centered with the wing tip and wing root. The aileron sticks up higher than the wing TE on the root side, and lower than the wing tip TE. I didn't measure how far it's off, looks to be 1/16-to 1/8" or so.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it were mine I would average out the position. IE a bit up and down. Then go fly it. You are not talking about a hitech pattern model. Just be ready to trim the aileron on the first flight.

Getting an established built in warp out ON A LONG TERM basis will be hard.

If it is built with separate pieces remove the covering separate the pieces with a sharp knife reglue with the parts laid out on a FLAT surface.

If it was a solid piece I would build a new one.

Last edited by j.duncker; 02-28-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 PM
TPL33

Originally Posted by j.duncker View Post
If it were mine I would average out the position. IE a bit up and down. Then go fly it. You are not talking about a hitech pattern model. Just be ready to trim the aileron on the first flight.

Getting an established built in warp out ON A LONG TERM basis will be hard.

If it is built with separate pieces remove the covering separate the pieces with a sharp knife reglue with the parts laid out on a FLAT surface.

If it was a solid piece I would build a new one.
With redoing the aileron in mind....how hard would it be to remove it from the wing since it has CA Hinges? This is the first time I've used the CA type hinge. I'm thinking of calling Great Planes and getting a new aileron or making one myself.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:35 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can center it and have OK results. Many times you can fix it on the plane. Have someone twist it to just past the correct position. Heat the covering on both sides with a heat gun.(leather gloves help) Hold the position until the covering cools. As I said, this will work most of the time.
It's not hard to remove the old one and replace it. If you are going to cut it off though, put it back on with some Robart hinge points. This will pay dividens down the road.3

david
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default bob62

What David said is the correct way to fix
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used the twist n heat method before too, and it works fine. My Kaos had 3 degrees of warp in both the stab and vertical, and 2 degrees of warp across the whole wing. Must have been a bad building day in China. I was able to get everything within 1/4 of a degree of perfection using just the heat gun.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by daveopam View Post
You can center it and have OK results. Many times you can fix it on the plane. Have someone twist it to just past the correct position. Heat the covering on both sides with a heat gun.(leather gloves help) Hold the position until the covering cools. As I said, this will work most of the time.
It's not hard to remove the old one and replace it. If you are going to cut it off though, put it back on with some Robart hinge points. This will pay dividens down the road.3

david
+3