Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

how to fix wing strut attachment

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

how to fix wing strut attachment

Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 AM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix wing strut attachment

I had a minor mishap with my Stearman (ran into tall grass/weeds). The result was I had broken the tabs the wing struts attach to (pictures attached). How would YOU go about repairing these?
I really don't want to disturb the top of the wing if avoidable.
It seems the "tabs" are incorporated into a ply rib which is "sandwiched" between two outer ribs.
Any ideas?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	1978480   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1978482   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	1978483  
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

epoxy,, if they come loose again,, surgery
Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut away the covering on the wing bottom from each bay on either side. Do the required surgury/repairs & recover those 2 bays.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Surgery is definitely called for but as SrT suggested above it can be done from below. just fabricate some new tabs (this time I would use aluminum) and slip them up alongside the ribs and through the original split in the fabric above and bond them to the outside of the ribs and perhaps a balsa doubler if you like. even thought it appears to be covered with fabric on the surgery cutout point below you can even use monocoat for a patch if you like.

No one ever looks at the bottom of the aircraft and a wise old full scale mechanic who mentored me in covering full scale often said to always make your mistakes on the opposite side of where the door was on the aircraft. No one would ever really see it, heck he was right

John
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

TOM
As you said Those tabs should be sandwiched between two ribs. I would cut the covering from one tab to the other between those two outside ribs. The tabs are probably separate pieces, meaning there should be a empty slot between the tabs. You can determine this when you cut the covering. I would leave the old tabs in place cause you won't get them out.

I would make a "T" shaped piece to fit in the slot between the old tabs. The bottom of the "T" would be made to fit into the slot between the old tabs. At each end of the "T" would be new tabs that are part of the "T" but extend over the old tab locations. Then epoxy the new piece into the slot between the ribs and to the old tabs.

You may have to have a little of the new piece showing because the new piece is going to need some meat to give the new tabs some strength. Make sure you use a good 5 ply hobby grade plywood to make the new piece.

Good luck

Tom
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
iflircaircraft

The old tabs broke off nearly flush with the rib. I think I can carefully cut a slot between the ribs and as Tacx suggested make new tabs (T shaped) and insert the leg (with epoxy) of them into the slot.
There is enough of the rib showing that cutting the covering may not be needed.
Thanks to all for your ideas.

Tom