Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Getting back into the hobby after 3 years

Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM
highrollin85

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Getting back into the hobby after 3 years

Hello everyone,

I have been out of the hobby now for about 3 years (long story) and will be getting back into it this spring (as soon as the snow melts and the field is dry). All of my models and equipment have sat in storage and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions to get everything tuned up and ready to go again. I have checked the servos/hinges/engine mounts for play and have done a once over on the rest of the models. Once it warms up a few degrees above 0 I will take them outside and run them up.

The main things that I am concerned about are:

-Fuel lines
-Batteries ( Ni-cad )
-Fuel, I have 4 unopened jugs. Does anyone know what the shelf life would be?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by highrollin85 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been out of the hobby now for about 3 years (long story) and will be getting back into it this spring (as soon as the snow melts and the field is dry). All of my models and equipment have sat in storage and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions to get everything tuned up and ready to go again. I have checked the servos/hinges/engine mounts for play and have done a once over on the rest of the models. Once it warms up a few degrees above 0 I will take them outside and run them up.

The main things that I am concerned about are:

-Fuel line should be Ok as long as they didn't set in fuel. Just check them for cracks
-Batteries ( Ni-cad ) rth a modelthrow away and get new, regardless how they recharge. not worth a model
-Fuel, I have 4 unopened jugs. Does anyone know what the shelf life would be? I've stored fuel much longer and it's been just fine

Thanks in advance!
steve p
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. Fuel has a shelf life far greater than 3 years, provided that it was stored in well-sealed containers. Fuel lines after 3 years should be pretty good, although you should examine them to see. NiCd batteries are robust compared to other types of batteries and can last many years. But that depends on the brand and capacity and how they have been treated. It would be wise to get a new pack unless you are skilled at maintaining and evaluating batteries.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 AM
im_a_rcav8r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the planes, engine and radios all sat for 3 years they should all be replaced. Send them to me and buy all new stuff! -- You should be find with the exception of the batteries. I would not trust the old ones unless they still have a charge on them. When a multiple cell battery pack discharges lower than 1.1v per cell. (your packs are likely at 0v now) bad things start to happen and the pack can be damaged. It is not worth the risk. dump the packs and get new ones. Sounds like you did a good once over on the planes so you should be in good shape there.

Only thing I would caution you about is treat each plane like it is new (first flight) Be sure all the servos move the correct way (nothing got reversed over the 3 years) Strange things can happen in storage!

Good luck and welcome back!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You went over the mechanics so that is one good thing out of the way.
The fuel lines depend on how you stored the planes after each run. If you drained the tanks then ran the engines dry the lines might be OK . For the little money involved I would change out the lines with new.
The NiCd batteries can last a long time but again , it depends how they were treated. if they were kept on a trickle charge for that time period or at least cycled a few times each year they would still be useable. After sitting for three years untouched they may be on their way out. Best thing to do would be to cycle them several times and see what mah rate they show.
If the unopened fuel was stored in a cool dark place it should be OK. If it's the pink fuel you can tell by the color when it starts to turn bad. It starts to turn a cloudy red.