Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Neptune

Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Neptune

Just last Sunday I became the proud owner of what I believe is a Nepturn float plane. I researched float planes and it certainly looks like a Nepturn but I'm not sure. It came with an OS .46 SF on it and my question is whether or not that is enough engine to drag this thing off the water. It has a 59 inch wing span and is pretty heavy, thus the question. It looks like it could be a fun plane to fly if it will get airborne. BTW, it has a couple Ace RC decals on it. Did Ace produce this model or did someone just put some decals on it to break up the color?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many of the seaplanes look the same, what you probably have is the ACE Seamaster, originally made from kit and later made from ARF. Either way, the Seamaster is a great flying plane, and the 46 is perfect for it.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Neptune now and had one several years ago. It's really a copy of the Seamaster ARF'ed in China. Great flying airplane with a ball bearing .46 or a 4-stroke .70-.75. It'll fly well with a .46, but I found I like the 4-stroke better. make sure you don't have any down thrust. A little up thrust would be nice. Having the engine up high tends to cause the plane to nose down on the water unless you have some back stick in. The Neptune/OS .46 will get off the water nicely in a fairly short distance. Does all sorts of acro and lands nicely.

I also have an OS .46SF. Great engine except mine had the nickle plating come off the cylinder. OS finally corrected this after the FX series came out. If yours is a ringed version, keep it forever. It's a great one. I found out after I bought a couple of AX's (naturally) that Mecoa has parts for their .46ABC that have true chrome plating and are a drop in fit for the SF. The Leo .46 is the same engine, a copy of the OS .46SF.

Ed
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed, the .46 that came with this airplane is a ringed engine, which was a surprise to me. I have another .46SF on an Extra 300L and I have been thinking for years that it was an ABN engine. I'll have to get it down out of the rafters and look. But even if it is ABN, it is a fine engine, easy to start and loads of power. If the ringed version is better, it will be a stump puller.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the Neptune the version of the Sea Master WITHOUT the plug-in landing gear?
I've had a few ACE Sea Master's, great planes, My last one I converted to a twin with T.T. 36 engines and Lanier wing floats.

Last edited by Carlos Murphy; 04-22-2014 at 11:32 PM.