Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mystery spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mystery spinner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 AM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery spinner

I have attached a photo of a 3" spun aluminum spinner I have had for maybe 21 years that I just recently put into service for the first time. I really like the scale look of this one. It has the advantage of needing no adapter for mounting, as the spinner is fastened to the back plate with 8 small screws. The holes for the screws were factory tapped into the back plate. The back plate is a pressed rear facing shallow aluminum cup with a 1/4" flange to provide for the screw holes. The spinner therefore projects 1/4" rearward of the prop drive face on the engine, so this must be taken into account when mounting the engine, or else use a spacer of some type if there is enough prop shaft available. I used Loctite 242 (blue) on the screws, and they are staying tight with no problem.

I have not seen another spinner like this in years. Does anyone know who made it? Is it still available? I would like to have more.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-06 10.35.19.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1,003.9 KB
ID:	1984532  
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a zinger spinner
Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is mine and I have no clue as to its origin other that the the uncut spinner was in a bag with a folded yellow cardboard label that was when I set it up on this airplane several years ago. I have two more uncut and without any packaging that I likely will use. They are lovely spinners that I like a lot but quite a few years back I belive this type grew out of favor simply because they came uncut for the blades and the extra work laying out and using the screws every time one may want to remove the prop or cowl.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroworks Yak 54 15 (2).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1984669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroworks Yak 54 11.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	697.1 KB
ID:	1984670  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 04-06-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 PM
littlera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys! You for sure have nailed it. I went to the Zinger site and found they are still in production.

John, you for sure are correct, this style is not used too often due to the need to cut the blade clearance, plus locate and drill the screw holes. You can have Zinger do it at extra charge if you provide prop, or at least identify it. It all becomes a logistical hassle. However, in some cases, it may be worth it if you have an unusual prop in relation to the size of spinner, as with some effort you can end up with a perfect fit. An example would be a large prop on a scale plane that used a relatively small spinner.

The yellow packaging makes sense, as Zinger packaging is always yellow as I remember.

I am 99% sure I bought this from Zinger with the basic blade slots cut, plus the base plate was drilled and tapped. Apparently at some point they eliminated this step, moving to a niche market for those that want a good custom fit. This would have also given them the opportunity to "upsell" the user for the extra charge for the cutting and drilling. They will also polish for $10. Mine was so dingy after sitting around 21 years that I had no choice - I polished it on my linen wheel I keep on one of my grinders. I use red rouge.

Thanks again for your input!