Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is this ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:34 PM
calmat
My Feedback: (70)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this ?

Anybody recognize this ME 109? I bought this plane and built it around 15 years ago and tried to fly it r/c a number of times. No rudder control so very hard to take off. Hand launching never worked out. Put in a 3 line bellcrank and flew it as a control line plane. Flies nice. I am now going to convert to electric control line with 2.4 radio. That is catching on pretty fast around here. I just can not remember what the kit was. Anybody remember who made this kit?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ME 109.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1984803  
Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

What's the wingspan? I am guessing House of balsa 1/2 A kit.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
calmat

The wing is 36 and body length 29. I think it may have been a House of Balsa kit as I was building a lot of there stuff then. It had the scale landing gear width which was very narrow. I bet the real plane gave German pilots take off and landing problems. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes if that airplane had a clear plastic turtle deck from the fin forward to the windshield Is almost certainly the HOB Me 109 designed by Fred Reese.

I had the good fortune to meet him not to long before he passed at a night fly of the Las Vegas RC club. He had been very active in control line back in Van Nuys Ca. years before. Just as a coincidence I had taken along one of my control line ships a .35 Sig Skyray to occupy some time while we were waiting for darkness to arrive out on Jean Dry Lake.

As he naturally gravitated to the circle I was flying and I realized who he was I am happy to say that I was able to talk him into a flight on my little Skyray and dare say he flew it beautifully. This is likely his last control line flight before he passed which was not to long after this night fly.

I to use 2.4 for throttle on my controlline ships but still prefer glow power.

John
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
calmat

Thanks John for the info. At 83 I am forgetting more each day. Thank god I still remember how too fly. Lou
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup ain't it cool Lou Perhaps we shall meet in the 'Big Circle' someday?

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete 2 (12).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1984981